Tapatalk request

Started by mk1, Dec 18, 2010, 12:03:42

Previous topic - Next topic

mk1

Sorry if this this the wrong place to port this.

Could the forum admin please add tapatalk functionality to the forum, it enables the forum to be view on smartphones such as android and iphone in a nice formatted way. Its completely free and would be most welcome. Many large forums use this such as XDA for example. Would be great to see it hear. Thank you.
The link to the website for more info:
Tapatalk for the plugin!

Rik

We've considered and rejected Tapatalk, partially due to security concerns, partly due to the server load it can cause. Sorry.

:welc: :karma:
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Lance

Most of us smartphone users use the wap interface which provides a quick and easy way to view the forum.
Lance
_____

Rik

Rik
--------------------

mk1

Quote from: Rik on Dec 18, 2010, 12:09:27
We've considered and rejected Tapatalk, partially due to security concerns, partly due to the server load it can cause. Sorry.

:welc: :karma:

Thanks for the reply, ol make do with the web browser on my phone :)

Technical Ben

Can you change the display mode? That usually fixes things for me. Sometimes a different browser will display better too (Mozilla or Opera etc).
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

DorsetBoy

http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php?wap2  will load the forum in a mobile accessible style.

alan

Are you still ruling this out Rik. Its so much easier to read than the other ways..
Thanks
Alan

Rik

We are, Alan, the issues have never been resolved to our satisfaction and, since the hack on January 2, we're even more concerned about security than we were. Sorry.
Rik
--------------------

alan

Shame, I suppose you have our best interests at heart.
Regards
Alan

Rik

It's always a balancing act, trying to provide members with the facilities they want whilst at the same time preserving security and keeping our server load in balance. You may notice that there are occasions during the day when the forum slows to a crawl as one of the other co-resident users starts a processor intensive activity. We have to consider that impact too. Given that the hack was not through the forum, but through another user on that server, we must also consider the risks that we might provide the kind of back door that occurred that day.

Things may improve when SMF2 finally arrives, at least that's what we're hoping. :)
Rik
--------------------

Gary

From what I have read tapatalk is not that secure after googling it, so I can see why its best to avoid it, tbh I don't really have issues reading the forum anyway on my iPhone.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

alan

Rik, Thanks for update. Its all a bit techie for me. I'll put my faith in you ;)
Gary, I really don't have any issues either. Having used it yesterday on some of the forums it seemed a lot easier on the eye.
Trying to justify myself paying £1.79 for it. Ouch :slap:
Alan