Can other users post their latest TBB Quality Monitor graph please?

Started by .Griff., Feb 09, 2011, 15:05:36

Previous topic - Next topic

psp83

Quote from: Bill on Feb 14, 2011, 22:00:34
That is interesting... poor average ping and a lot of congestion when you'd expect it, but no packet loss to speak of even during periods of high pings......

The office line is interleaved, so that doesn't help with higher than normal pings.

psp83

Quote from: Bill on Feb 14, 2011, 22:08:22
If it's one of mine, it could be because I've forgotten to change "ipv6" to "www" in the link :blush:

Not just yours Bill, even my one's fail to load sometimes, I'm putting it down to packet loss when they don't load.

Bill

Quote from: psp83 on Feb 14, 2011, 22:18:26
The office line is interleaved, so that doesn't help with higher than normal pings.

Fair enough, that's very true.

I still think the average is poor, but as I don't suppose you do much gaming on it it doesn't really matter :P
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Lance

Paul, whilst it doesn't help with the packet loss problem, don't forget you can download from iplayer and then store for 30 days. Normally better than streaming IMO. 
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

sof2er

Quote from: psp83 on Feb 14, 2011, 21:23:36
Yours look nearly the same as mine.

Where do you live? I'm in Wiltshire.

Glasgow, Halfway exchange.

joe

psp83

Quote from: Lance on Feb 14, 2011, 23:05:52
Paul, whilst it doesn't help with the packet loss problem, don't forget you can download from iplayer and then store for 30 days. Normally better than streaming IMO. 

Yeah I know,

But I normally watch BBC iPlayer and Channel 5 catch up through my bluray player on my TV while I'm in bed!

After spending a day standing up at hospital the last thing I feel like doing is coming home and sitting at the pc to watch TV I missed when I got a nice comfy bed I can lay on and do the same!  ;D

.Griff.

Four "peaks" with associated packet loss for me in the last 24 hours. (The peak at 1am was me downloading and doesn't match the others anyway)

Technical Ben

Hmmm. I thought it might be an error with the TBB results. Like them not picking up all the packets, thus reporting the loss falsely. But that is not the case if other tests also show this.
I'm getting 1% loss right now. No idea why. My line is normally 100%. Speed is also down about half a meg, from 6.9mb to 6.4.  Wonder what it is...  :dunno:
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Rik

Quote from: Bill on Feb 14, 2011, 22:14:21
Fair enough, but if posters use the particular link that I suggested, clicking the small graph will take you to the large version. I'll leave the decision to the admins :hewho:

That would be ideal from our point of view in terms of page load times, but as we're not hosting the images, it's not a huge issue.
Rik
--------------------

Bill

Quote from: Rik on Feb 15, 2011, 09:52:58but as we're not hosting the images, it's not a huge issue.
That makes sense, cheers.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Simon_idnet

We think we may have found a common denominator and so we're going to reboot one of our core routers - telehouse-gw5 - tomorrow morning. Traffic wil be routed through other routers whilst it's offline but we'll do it at the quietest time of the day, 6am, just to minimise any disruption.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Technical Ben

Thanks Simon! It's like one of those little rattles you get on your car. It may be nothing, but it's an annoyance. Even more so if it signals a breakdown. But if all is well after, your pleased it's sorted.
I wonder if it's worth checking out the TBB monitor myself...

.Griff.

Quote from: Technical Ben on Feb 15, 2011, 16:07:13
I wonder if it's worth checking out the TBB monitor myself...

You might as well. It costs nothing and the more people that can provide graphs the more chance we have of getting to the route cause.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

mk1

Im getting lots of packet loss too! :(

This chart is a live chart.

Package Loss

RCS2K4

I've stayed silent long enough about this. I've littered the forums over the past few weeks about IDNET's packet loss, and have got nowhere (You guys on here have been great, I've had no joy on the phone to support). Just got a load of excuses instead - blame the router, blame the local exchange etc etc. This issue is clearly more widespread with IDNET's customer base than I first thought, but they dont appear to be doing anything?

Clocked up 5+ years with this ISP, and it's been faultless. I would like to know why it's suddenly gone bad in the past 2-4 weeks, and not just for me. The random spikes in latency while playing games online, or the frequent dropping from the server i'm playing on are getting a little irritating.
A signature, would usually go here. You've just wasted 2 secconds of your life looking for it...

mk1

Quote from: Rik on Feb 15, 2011, 18:56:02
A core router is being re-booted at 6am tomorrow, which is expected to cure the problem.
Thread Posted

Hopefully issue solved tomorrow!:) :fingers:

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: RCS2K4 on Feb 15, 2011, 19:04:51
I've stayed silent long enough about this. I've littered the forums over the past few weeks about IDNET's packet loss, and have got nowhere (You guys on here have been great, I've had no joy on the phone to support). Just got a load of excuses instead - blame the router, blame the local exchange etc etc. This issue is clearly more widespread with IDNET's customer base than I first thought, but they dont appear to be doing anything?

Hopefully, it will be sorted tomorrow.

QuoteClocked up 5+ years with this ISP, and it's been faultless. I would like to know why it's suddenly gone bad in the past 2-4 weeks, and not just for me. The random spikes in latency while playing games online, or the frequent dropping from the server i'm playing on are getting a little irritating.

I'm guessing, though we haven't been told, that it's been hard to track in isolation. This thread has provided a collection of evidence which may have pointed to the problem.
Rik
--------------------

Technical Ben

The internet does not run on magic :(  It runs on actual mechanical and electrical parts. It sometimes wears out. Goes wrong. Or has that niggling little problem you just can't pin point. It has software and programming. For something that is one in a hundred (1%) and only effects one machine (GW5?) it could be like a needle in a hay stack. I guess a few of us are just unlucky enough to be sitting right on it. Ouch!
I've not been effected with gaming, or downloading. So a 1% margin of error, once a year, is bearable. Will try the TBB monitor tonight to see if it's just one off spikes or continuous.

But I'm still confident IDNet work really hard. Probably harder than I do.  :red:

[PS]
Just checked in a game. Getting between 1-5% loss. I suppose it only averages out at 1% loss, as low as zero at times. But it is quite constant now. These are not ping requests, so it's not just a server ignoring pings. They are actual packets used in the game etc.

.Griff.

I presume everyone else sees the same massive spike at 8.30'ish?

Fingers crossed for tomorrows reboot.  :fingers:

Bill

Quote from: .Griff. on Feb 15, 2011, 22:09:16
I presume everyone else sees the same massive spike at 8.30'ish?

Yup, in fact yours is bigger than mine (now there's an admission you won't often hear :P)

Fingers crossed for tomorrows reboot.  :fingers:

Seconded... :fingers:

(Ignore the horrible bit just after midnight, that was me.)

edit by Lance for Bill's fondness of ipv6!
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

faircot

Here's a snapshot from this AM. Odd (IE, very little) activity overnight. Haven't seen it like that before.