Can other users post their latest TBB Quality Monitor graph please?

Started by .Griff., Feb 09, 2011, 15:05:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

I'm just wondering if there's some odd re routing going on whilst BT are messing about (working)on their network.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Lance

It's possible, but you would then expect other ISPs to show an effect.

Bill, a good development might be getting the BQM to provide average graphs by ISP.
Lance
_____

Bill

Quote from: Lance on Feb 11, 2011, 22:58:09
Bill, a good development might be getting the BQM to provide average graphs by ISP.

Yes, it might, but I can't see it happening. I asked Seb a few days ago if an option to download the graph data in csv format was possible, the reply was basically "Yes, sometime, but we're too busy on other things at the moment".

Which is a reply I think he's got on a script >:(

I doubt he'd let me have it anyway, that sort of information has commercial implications.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Technical Ben

Thanks Lance and .Griff.!
That explains it well for me. Seeing the congestion graph, as you said, there is no packet loss, just long round trips.
Hmmm. It's a real difficult one. They could write one of those mystery novels on it. Perhaps 4am is when the BT training staff are let loose?  :whistle:
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Bill

"Congestion" disappearing at midnight and 4am spikes again:

Sunday 13th and Monday 14th:

Speculation... a network traffic monitoring system that keeps an eye on the traffic through various links, when one gets near to capacity it automatically offloads some on to a less congested link. It would explain the shape of the peaks, and if the trip point were set a bit on the high side it could explain the packet loss. It could also explain the occasional "square-sided" peak that occurs if "my" link was the one that got loaded up.

edit- like the one at about 11am on Monday >:(

Doesn't explain the timing I'll admit :(

If it worked properly it would be a good idea... do BT use anything like this and have screwed up the setting, or maybe trialling a new one? The results make it look like a beta.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

JamesAllen

Just to add to this, I'm also seeing similar results using the TBB Quality Monitor:

Late last week I was getting latency problems and dropped packets which were affecting some internet radio streaming I was doing.

My results do look similar to what other's have been seeing.

Would be good if more users can share their results so we can compare over the coming weeks perhaps.

Just to check, in normal circumstances should the graph not show many dropped packets - i.e. minimal red?

Rik

Rik
--------------------

JamesAllen

Quote from: Rik on Feb 14, 2011, 12:28:10
That's the ideal, James.

Thanks Rik.. Now obviously as this is the first time I've run the ping monitor, I can't be sure what my results were like previously but wondering if this does infer some network wide issues. Be interesting to see what everyone sees over the coming week graph wise.

JamesAllen

Ah doh, just realised this post if for FTTC users. I'm on ADSL2+.

Though looks like similar results. Would be good to monitor this for both products if possible to work out where the issue may lie though.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

JamesAllen

Aha. Thanks for confirming Rik. At least I know I'm not totally way off posting in this thread. ;)

.Griff.

Rik can you move this to the general help section and amend my title to remove the FTTC bit please?

It's obviously a wider issue and people may be reluctant to post in the thread given the title.

psp83

Here's my latest one, quite a lot of packet loss and spikes after midnight when the connection is not used.

Is there any ideas yet what is causing the spikes and packet loss?

I want to catch up on missed TV by watching BBC iPlayer etc in the evening since I spend most days/nights at hospital visiting my fiancee but you can't with the packet loss.

sof2er

psp83

With my graph above.

Connection was used between 7am - 9am and then 4pm onwards.

So a lot of activity on a connection that wasn't being used.

psp83

Bill

Quote from: psp83 on Feb 14, 2011, 21:19:42
So a lot of activity on a connection that wasn't being used.

No, it doesn't indicate activity on your connection, it indicates a lot of traffic on (at least part of) the route between the tbb pingbox and your exchange... pings can be useful, but they need a lot of care in interpretation.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

psp83

Quote from: Bill on Feb 14, 2011, 21:26:17
No, it doesn't indicate activity on your connection, it indicates a lot of traffic on (at least part of) the route between the tbb pingbox and your exchange... pings can be useful, but they need a lot of care in interpretation.

Yeah, that's what I mean  :P

Loading websites at the mo is a pain in the arse! esp the tbb graphs on this post, they don't load sometimes.

psp83

And if this helps things.

Here's the line at work, connected to the same exchange but with BT as the ISP

Bill

Quote from: psp83 on Feb 14, 2011, 21:35:54
And if this helps things.

Here's the line at work, connected to the same exchange but with BT as the ISP

That is interesting... poor average ping and a lot of congestion when you'd expect it, but no packet loss to speak of even during periods of high pings......
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Bill

Quote from: psp83 on Feb 14, 2011, 21:28:12esp the tbb graphs on this post, they don't load sometimes.

If it's one of mine, it could be because I've forgotten to change "ipv6" to "www" in the link :blush:

At the risk of stepping on the admins' toes, could I request people to use the link to the small graphs, see here:

http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,24712.msg587008.html#msg587008

They're less than half the size of the big ones, ~100KB each, and you can fit two next to each other in a post if needed.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

.Griff.

Quote from: Bill on Feb 14, 2011, 22:08:22
At the risk of stepping on the admins' toes, could I request people to use the link to the small graphs

They're less than half the size of the big ones, ~100KB each,

I struggle to "read" the smaller graphs properly hence I use the larger ones.

Bill

Quote from: .Griff. on Feb 14, 2011, 22:11:10
I struggle to "read" the smaller graphs properly hence I use the larger ones.

Fair enough, but if posters use the particular link that I suggested, clicking the small graph will take you to the large version. I'll leave the decision to the admins :hewho:
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

.Griff.

Quote from: Bill on Feb 14, 2011, 22:14:21
Fair enough, but if you use the particular link that I suggested, clicking the small graph will take you to the large version. I'll leave the decision to the admins :hewho:

Yeah fair point however some people just hotlink the smaller image itself with no redirect which makes it hard to read.