Authentication problem 2700HGV on AAISP ADSL

Started by waltergmw, Feb 09, 2011, 20:54:34

Previous topic - Next topic

waltergmw

Hello Everybody,

Is there a guru here who knows ADSL initialisation procedures quite well?

I have tried a "POISONED" V4 and a V5 2700HGV modem on a new AAISP service but thhey fail to complete the authentication process reporting a DNS fail error even though the figures are correct for AAISP.
The V4 has worked perfectly on a zen service at the same site.
I have a working Netgear DG384GT but its performance on the long line is abysmal.

Both 2Wire modems go through a standard sequence of LED lights except the Internet light flashes
green very briefly twice but then stays red even overnight.

I also get ntp server fails from 2Wire which perhaps should be disabled somehow?
ERR
P0000-00-00T00:00:45
sntpc:  Failed to resolve ntpserver 'ntp1.2wire.com': Host name lookup failure
ERR
sntpc:  Failed to resolve ntpserver 'ntp2.2wire.com': Host name lookup failure
ERR
sntpc:  Failed to resolve ntpserver 'ntp3.2wire.com': Host name lookup failure
ERR
sntpc:  Failed to resolve ntpserver 'ntp4.2wire.com': Host name lookup failure

I have vast amounts of log data but don't want to publish sensitive data nor clog up the forum.
The initialisation diagram shows everything is up (or none for bridge) except for "ppp0 is ERROR" and "dnstest0 is NONE"

Any help most gratefully received.
Kind regards,
Walter

Steve

:welc: :karma: We have a few 2700 experts you should get a response soon. :fingers:
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Simon

Simon.
--

Lance

I'm wondering if it's worth doing a full factory reset and then double check the username and password is correct.

The ntp error will disappear once a connection is established.
Lance
_____

kinmel

When I moved from IDNet to AAISP, BT disconnected me from IDnet 12 hours before enabling my connection to AAISP and during that period my routers behaved the same as your's does today.

Using someone else's connection, login to your AAISP account's Broadband section and click on the Firebrick graph. On the new page you will see listed the full engineering history for your line as sent from BT to AAISP. If your AAISP line has been activated then one entry from -RADIUS- should read "installed" and the next entry will show BT setting the BRAS profile.  If that is missing, you are in limbo and need to call AAISP support on 03333 400 000.

If those entries are there and you are not on BE LLU then follow THIS GUIDE exactly, using your AAISP broadband login details.    These are different from your account login details.

If you need to contact AAISP Support tell them that any 2700HGV works with AAISP for ADSL/ADSL2+ using standard BT settings.

Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Lance

Thanks for your helpful input, as always, Alan.
Lance
_____

waltergmw

Thank you very much everybody,

I shall give the procedures a whirl tomorrow and report back.

This is a new account which has "worked" with the netgear giving the astonishing BT speed test results !!!!!!!!
Download speed 128 Kbps, IP Profile 250 Kbps, Up & Download DSL connection rate 288 Kbps
Perhaps you can see why I want to get a 2Wire working.

Kind regards,
Walter

Rik

Welcome to the forum, Walter. What's your line attenuation? :welc: :karma:
Rik
--------------------

Ray

Ray
--------------------

waltergmw

Thank you yet again everybody,

@ Rik  The attenuation on this line indicated by the 2700 HGV is "only" 80.4 dB down and possibly 31.5 dB up.
The downstream attenuation @ 300 kHz is 82.7 dB

Don't all fall off your seats laughing !

Kind regards,
Walter

Rik

That's one heck of a long line, you have my sympathy - mine's only 61.8.
Rik
--------------------

Polchraine

Quote from: waltergmw on Feb 10, 2011, 12:07:51
Thank you yet again everybody,

@ Rik  The attenuation on this line indicated by the 2700 HGV is "only" 80.4 dB down and possibly 31.5 dB up.
The downstream attenuation @ 300 kHz is 82.7 dB

Don't all fall off your seats laughing !

Kind regards,
Walter

The 31.5 dB is almost certainly the maximum it can display.    I would expect a 80dB down attenuation to have an upstream of at least 40dB and probably 50dB if not even 60dB.

I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets.

waltergmw

@ Polchraine,

I agree entirely which is why I put the possibly in.
It's one of the major advantages that the 2Wire displays real downstream attenuation in the diagnostics window, even though it conforms to the rules by usually displaying the maximum as 63.5 dB.

The other major advantage is that the 2Wire will show all the diagnostics data and bit loading once the modem has synchronised but doesn't need authentication (except for the GMT figure).
I use one as a test instrument which actually gives me a lot more ADSL data than the JDSU does and usually costs no more than £30 instead of thousands.

The one thing I've yet to discover is whether the RAS data is available anywhere? I've scoured the full log and system logs but to no avail.
Here's some pictures of another delightful line I'm monitoring.

Kind regards,
Walter

Rik

Rik
--------------------

waltergmw

Just a sitrep that I've now proven using 2700HGV, Thompson 585V7 & Thompson 784 modems that all behave in the same way.
I think it's a strange authentication problem as the modem continually cycles but never achieves a permanent authentication.

Here's a section of the edited log with A.B.C.D instead of the real IP address.:-

Jan 1 00:14:58GRP Default destination is not routed anymore via gateway A.B.C.D 

Jan 1 00:14:58PPP link down (Internet) [A.B.C.D] 

Jan 1 00:14:57PPP link up (Internet) [A.B.C.D] 

Jan 1 00:14:57GRP Default destination is routed via gateway A.B.C.D 

Jan 1 00:14:57PPP CHAP Chap receive success : authentication ok 

Jan 1 00:14:57PPP CHAP Receive challenge (rhost = ERX3.Reading2) 

Jan 1 00:13:48GRP Default destination is not routed anymore via gateway A.B.C.D 

Jan 1 00:13:48PPP link down (Internet) [A.B.C.D] 

If any of you good folk know exactly what's wrong I'd dearly like to tell BT so we don't have the usual pantomime of waiting to book futile BT O site visits.
(Yes I know I'm an optimist, but one day we might get them to observe that the client might just have a modicum of ADSL understanding !!)

Kind regards,
Walter

pctech

What have AAISP tech support said Walter?

kinmel

Walter, when you telephone Support on  03333 400 000.you will not be talking to BT , you will be dealing with the technicians at AAISP, who are as helpful and knowledgeable as any Support staff anywhere.

AAISP do constant line monitoring and can easily see what is happening to your line.

Phone AAISP support as soon as possible.
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

waltergmw

Thanks both of you.

I am already in conversation with AAISP but they say BT is convinced that there is no issue on their side.
I was hoping to be able to add a suggestion or two to help AAISP.

Very fortunately there is another badly-working line on site where I have a LogMeIn laptop connected.
Please excuse the grainy mirror images below showing the modem continuously trying.

Kind regards,
Walter

waltergmw

Woops,

Sorry I missed with my screen grab !

Here's the other state. I can just see a red light sometimes but it goes too fast to capture it.

Kind regards,
Walter

pctech

Walter what is the label on the bottom indicator as its not that clear from the photo, if its DSL then the line is going up and down, if its Internet then it sounds as though it could be an authentication issue.

I take it AAISP have checked everything with your account on their authentication platform?

waltergmw

Hi PC Tech,

Sorry, yes it does say Internet.
I too believe it's authentication problem which is also suggested by the log data.
The modem syncs and stays so which is the light above.

Kind regards,
Walter

pctech

If its authentication then it should be fixable by AAISP or BT (depending on whose RADIUS server is causing the issue) without a BT visit to your premises which carries the cost.

Back to AAISP I think and if they won't help, ask them for your MAC.

pctech

Looking again at your logs Walter it looks like its failing at a BT RADIUS point (ERX Reading2)

waltergmw

Hello everybody,

Just to update you all the problem was found by AAISP to be an improper response to IPv6 authentication.
They've disabled IPv6 in their Raduis server and hidden the problem.

Apart from a malfunctioning Netgear DG834 running dodgy DG Team firmware which synchronised at an astronomic 25 Kbps speed, the 2700 HGV and Thompson 585 V7 and TG784 modems ALL failed in an identical fashion.

I've included the poor modem stats below that we have now achieved.

It behoves us all to start here:-

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ipv6?button

and then explore further.

Thank you all very much indeed for your help.

Kind regards,
Walter

waltergmw

This is just the right hand side of the diagnostics page.

Kind regards,
Walter