The definition of broadband according to the US FCC

Started by zappaDPJ, Feb 14, 2011, 23:37:35

Previous topic - Next topic

zappaDPJ

I've noticed in recent months that a number of providers of on-line services have started to be very specific about the minimum requirements needed to connect to their services. Many refer to the definition of Broadband Internet as set out by the FCC and not knowing what that was I thought I'd check it out.

Quote...the United States (US) Federal Communications Commission (FCC) as of 2010, defines "Basic Broadband" as data transmission speeds of at least 4 megabits per second (Mbps), or 4,000,000 bits per second, downstream (from the Internet to the user's computer) and 1 Mbit/s upstream (from the user's computer to the Internet).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadband_Internet_access

Quite surprising really, especially the 1 Mbit/s upstream, and as an example, slightly worrying for UK based World of Warcraft players as this is what Blizzard now specify as a minimum requirement. There were changes made in the last patch to take account of this minimum specification that they subsequently reverted because of the issues it caused. However it seems clear that ultimately they want to revert that revision and they consider a 2% loss of the player base is acceptable if it gives the remaining players an enhanced playing experience.

I have no idea what percentage of UK broadband users have throughput lower than the FCC specification but if on-line providers outside of the UK continue to up the stakes, it might all end in tears for a lot of people.
zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Lance

I think it's quite a large proportional of the population who are out of spec, especiay given the upload. It will be interesting to see if there is any impact if this in the future other than in WoW.
Lance
_____

gizmo71

I'm already well below the requirements to use the Sky Player (2mb/s, double what I've got, and the jerky buffering shows it). :shake:
SimRacing.org.uk Director General | Team Shark Online Racing - on the podium since 1993
Up the Mariners!

Rik

I'd be amazed if the majority of UK users were not below FCC standards. I wonder if the FCC have spoken to Ofcom at all.
Rik
--------------------

.Griff.

Quote from: Rik on Feb 15, 2011, 09:56:47
I wonder if the FCC have spoken to Ofcom at all.

Why would the FCC (A US government agency) speak to OFCOM about the internet speeds in the UK ?

Rik

I just wonder if there's any international body on the subject, Griff, as there is for, say, postal services.
Rik
--------------------

.Griff.

Fair enough. I was wondering if I'd misread something for a second.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Technical Ben

I'm amazed there are standards for the internet. So I doubt there would be for the speed or QOS guarantees. Just look at throttling for an example. If more people are going to use the internet for anything more than Webpage browsing, the ISPs are in for a shock. The likes of Google and Youtube have invested in their infrastructure (Akamai etc.) but the likes of BT seem to struggle.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.