Netgear DGND3300

Started by stephend, Jan 31, 2011, 21:06:17

Previous topic - Next topic

stephend

Hello everyone,

I am looking at getting a new router as the wireless keeps failing on my current one and I am looking at the Netgear DGND3300. I have read some of the topics on here are can see you are suggesting older modems such as the netgear dg834 v4 or the 2wire. Both of these I believe are Broadcom chipsets routers. The Netgear DGND3300 is also a Broadcom chipset hence why I am looking at it.

Does anyone have any opinions on this router and whether it is worth getting. My internet connection is stable it is just am wireless that is cutting out.

Now I know this question get asked a lot and you you have all very gracious in answering it. 

Thank you in advanced

Steve

I think Gary uses one? It's worth getting if you require dual band 'N' which has it's uses in allowing you to segregate 'g' and 'N' wifi into the 2.5GHz and 5GHz bands respectively, so that the 'N' wifi devices can run at full speed, otherwise the DGN2200 should do the job!
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

Good router, new firmware turns it into a DLNA Media server as well, if you can hold out the DGND3700 when released will have dual 802 n radios and a dual core processor and Gigabit ports and can be used with Fibre as well as DSL and cable, if you need one now its reliable the 5Ghz band is great to separate machines you want to remove from the more cluttered 2.4 ghz band. You can also connect a USB hard drive, as Steve says if you want those features its a great router otherwise the DGND2200 is fine.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Lance

You can connect a USB drive to the dgn2200 too.

Any idea of pricing of the dgnd3700 Gary?
Lance
_____

Gary

Quote from: Lance on Jan 31, 2011, 22:50:01
You can connect a USB drive to the dgn2200 too.

Any idea of pricing of the dgnd3700 Gary?
Its not been released yet Lance, but I imagine it will be expensive to start with, I have it on check witrh Broadband Buyer, so once its released I will post its price and probably a review Lance, as I need dual 802 n radios now.

Lance

Lance
_____

wecpcs

Quote from: Gary on Jan 31, 2011, 22:23:51
Good router, new firmware turns it into a DLNA Media server as well, if you can hold out the DGND3700 when released will have dual 802 n radios and a dual core processor and Gigabit ports and can be used with Fibre as well as DSL and cable, if you need one now its reliable the 5Ghz band is great to separate machines you want to remove from the more cluttered 2.4 ghz band. You can also connect a USB hard drive, as Steve says if you want those features its a great router otherwise the DGND2200 is fine.

I flashed my DGND3300 to the lateset firmware and it has caused no end of problems on my Windows Home Server. I have just found that my Remote Access had stopped working and upon investigation I found that the router had totally ignored my address reservation list and assigned different IP's which totally screwed up my firewall rules for port forwarding for the WHS. The reason I have to do the port forwarding manually is that the UPNP does not work properly. Even after editing my rules to the new IP's it allocated, my Remote Access still refused to configure even after a complete reboot of everything including the router. So I had to reflash my router back to its previous firmware V2.1.00.42_1.00.42 and that got my address reservation list working as it should. I have sort of got my Remote Access working despite it showing an erroer in the console but that is another problem caused my Microsoft's recent update to a new platform for their DNS Domain name servers, which do not recognise my Windows Live logon details, despite me being able to log on to their Live website them them.

Why do Netgear always do this by submitting cr*p firmware without fully testing it as even their previous version did not work properly either hence this newer version, but they have still got it wrong.

So avoid this latest firmware like the plague.

Colin

Rik

Netgear seem to have no testing policy, do they? :(
Rik
--------------------

Niall

Glad I bought B.B.King tickets instead now ;D
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Rik

You'll get more enjoyment out of them. :)
Rik
--------------------

wecpcs

Quote from: Rik on Feb 02, 2011, 12:29:19

I have just looked on the Netgear forum and there are many other complaining of the same problem and are all reverting back to v.42.

Colin

Lance

Quote from: Rik on Feb 02, 2011, 12:29:19

Their policy is 'let them do it for us'!
Lance
_____

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: wecpcs on Feb 02, 2011, 12:18:01
I flashed my DGND3300 to the lateset firmware and it has caused no end of problems on my Windows Home Server. I have just found that my Remote Access had stopped working and upon investigation I found that the router had totally ignored my address reservation list and assigned different IP's which totally screwed up my firewall rules for port forwarding for the WHS. The reason I have to do the port forwarding manually is that the UPNP does not work properly. Even after editing my rules to the new IP's it allocated, my Remote Access still refused to configure even after a complete reboot of everything including the router. So I had to reflash my router back to its previous firmware V2.1.00.42_1.00.42 and that got my address reservation list working as it should. I have sort of got my Remote Access working despite it showing an erroer in the console but that is another problem caused my Microsoft's recent update to a new platform for their DNS Domain name servers, which do not recognise my Windows Live logon details, despite me being able to log on to their Live website them them.

Why do Netgear always do this by submitting cr*p firmware without fully testing it as even their previous version did not work properly either hence this newer version, but they have still got it wrong.

So avoid this latest firmware like the plague.

Colin
No issues with UPNP here but I don't use windows, maybe you should tell Netgear, and when the support guy goes huh, explain that it needs to go to the engineers who will contact you, no offence but moaning about it won't get it fixed. Like all things you have to speak up and the issues get sorted. That's how the last version was pulled, people contacting support. If enough people complain about the issue they will do something about it, they turned the radio issue around pretty quickly, but the Netgear forum is nothing to do with Netgear so you have to contact support.

Ardua

I have been using a DGN3300D v2 with version .48 firmware for the past 3 days and both my 'N' and 'G' connections are rock solid. Signal strength is 100% wherever I am in the house and my Blackberry 9700 was still showing a wifi connection 'G' 50 yards or so from my property. The router is cold to the touch - in fact, cooler than the 834G v1 that it replaced. Set up via the router access page was a breeze. The only problem that I had was getting the firmware to update to v.48. The router upgrade page recognized that an update was available but it refused to accept it. Netgear support was of little help so after a little research via Google I was able to do a manual update using the non-B countries programme. Current stats show a line attenuation of 20 downstream and 8 upstream with noise at 11 and 24 respectively. I have 2 Macs, a PS3, a Denon hifi system, a Kindle and a BB9700 connected to the router. All are working fine. PC World has the router on sale at the moment for £85 (compared to an Amazon price of £98.50). I am happy with my purchase so far.

PS Amazon is also showing the DGN3700 at £99.99 (list price £330.05; ie, a 70% saving!)

Ardua

Belay my earlier pipe, the 3700 that Amazon is showing is the WNDR3700. Was it really over £300 at launch?

Rik

It wouldn't surprise me.
Rik
--------------------

stephend

Thanks for your post everyone.

I decided for the money I had to spend to go for the dgn2200, I must say I am not disappointed. As easy to setup as my old dg834v5. The wireless connect seems solid and the ADSL has connected at a slightly faster speed.

Thanks again

Stephen

Lance

Good to hear it Stephen. It does seem on these boards the dgn2200 is getting a decent reputation as a simple yet powerful router.
Lance
_____

Niall

Quote from: stephend on Feb 09, 2011, 22:34:11
Thanks for your post everyone.

I decided for the money I had to spend to go for the dgn2200, I must say I am not disappointed. As easy to setup as my old dg834v5. The wireless connect seems solid and the ADSL has connected at a slightly faster speed.

Thanks again

Stephen

My mate got one of those, I discovered yesterday. He's had no problems with it since he bought it months ago. Apparently they are known for overheating, but he says he hasn't had any issues at all and the wireless works find throughout his house.
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy