Websites loading slow tonight?

Started by Aaron, Feb 26, 2011, 01:22:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaltern

Thanks for the welcome guys :)

Just to report, things are still seemingly a little slow occasionally, but on the whole, things seem to be returning to normal.

Niall

I've actually been seeing slow loading pages for various sites recently. I assumed it was due to the problems I had a few weeks ago, but it's still happening today.

www.deviantart.com
www.flickr.com
www.twitter.com
www.facebook.com
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/

All of the above have slow loading problems. Deviant art is a bit of a law unto itself though, so I can never really say if it's at their end when it's slow, considering the amount of people using it. Flickr though I've never had a problem with, but in the last few days it's been slow loading. I just tried twitter and that took a few seconds to load the homepage, and also I have echofon installed in Firefox so I don't have to visit the site. Occasionally it can't resolve the page to pull my info through, probably due to the same reason. Last night Facebook just wouldn't load at all, around 12:30am then was extremely sluggish for 10 minutes, then was slow shortly after. Yesterday afternoon I couldn't even get to the Steam forums!

There have been quite a few other sites I've had problems with too. Initially I thought it may be my routers blocking DNS IPs or something similar, but checking my logs the router hasn't blocked anything, nor the firewall or AV. I'm not sure what's causing it, but I do have the router set to auto detect DNS rather than inputting it as I used to. I suppose it could just be increased loads of these sites due to kids being off school :shrug:
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Rik

Averaging about 4 seconds to load a page here, Niall, for the first and last. The rest are pretty much instant. Given the time of day I'm checking, I'd say server load or congestion are the only possible answers.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Steve

I wonder if the first and last are solely 'across the pond' based servers?
Steve
------------

Rik

They're all showing as American sites for me, Steve.
Rik
--------------------

esh

Edit: no matter, some fluke server configuration glitch.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

Rik

Rik
--------------------