Websites loading slow tonight?

Started by Aaron, Feb 26, 2011, 01:22:09

Previous topic - Next topic

mrapoc

Looks like my late night gaming is ruined!  :'(

bed time for me

Kaltern

Heh its never good when the OpenDNS website won't open either!!

I suppose I should probably try out this sleep thing... I'm not very good at it mind.

Desaan

Well I work odd hours, so I'll be up till mid morning at least which makes it all the more frustrating that the problem hasn't been resolved or even acknowledged on the IDNET service status rss.  A non functioning internet connection for me during this time of night means you may as well cut my head off because lets be honest it's not as if I can go sit in the garden or nip out to the shops for a bit, there isn't a lot to do!

Kaltern

Well.... you COULD sit in the garden I suppose... best take a warm blanket and plenty of Bovril to keep you going though  ;D

Maiku

Seems to be more than DNS as I sent that via a vpn and it worked, but still couldnt connect to the site (Toms hardware). Those having 404 errors are interesting, that dosnt sound like routing tho.
Sept 22nd 2011, IDNet 8mb ADSL max. Draytek vigor 100 & a Soekris net4801.

sof2er

Kaltern

Tracert seems to time out after xe-1-0-0.mpr2.lhr3.uk.above.net [64.125.27.174].

Daveproxy with the network site shows a problem in Manchester - this is new as it was clear only a hour or so ago.

heartgraffiti

Yet another issue on IDNET. These problems never seem to happen when we actually have availability to the IDNET helpline. Thank god for BTinfinity, where I'll be moving to soon.

Maiku

Quote from: heartgraffiti on Feb 26, 2011, 02:31:57
Yet another issue on IDNET. These problems never seem to happen when we actually have availability to the IDNET helpline. Thank god for BTinfinity, where I'll be moving to soon.

As in BT's Fibre and ISP service.... :no: I'd rather use dial-up. ;D

SpaceMonkey

Same problem here. Half the websites won't load, and can't connect to any blizzard server. At least MSN is working!  :fingers:

Have to say over the last few months i've had a number of problems with my connection dying for a few hours at a time. Mostly at night rather than at peak though. No idea if its IDNET or BT to blame but either way it's getting annoying now  :'(

heartgraffiti

Quote from: Maiku on Feb 26, 2011, 02:40:26
As in BT's Fibre and ISP service.... :no: I'd rather use dial-up. ;D
Rather a service that tells me it's errors than one that completely ignores them.

Simon_idnet

There was an outage at Linx tonight. They have now resolved the problem by replacing a switch card.

Maiku

Quote from: Simon_idnet on Feb 26, 2011, 02:52:06
There was an outage at Linx tonight. They have now resolved the problem by replacing a switch card.

Linx are getting quite unreliable recently it seems.

Thanx for the update Simon  :thumb:

Desaan

Hmmm, definitely still problems for me, pages timing out etc.

Still a lot of unreachable sites, also effecting any chance of online gaming.

It goes from slow loading to non responsive constantly.  >:(

Lona

Same here.  Been slow all day for me. :-\

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Desaan

I won't pretend to know who Linx are Simon, but you better go and give them another kick up the arse!

Simon_idnet

That's the London Internet Exchange, a lot of UK traffic passes through there: https://www.linx.net/pubtools/trafficstats.html

Ruerin

Slowly gotten better for me over the past hour, however Steam remains unable to connect at my end (along with a couple of other sites). Thanks for the info and let's hope everything is resolved soon!

e: Steam seems to be working now along with everything else. All good for me.

zappaDPJ

Broadly speaking I think LINX (London Internet Exchange) allows ISPs to exchange data directly rather than having to rely on other networks.

Sites that were hit by the switch card failure are slowly coming back for me now so it should be the same for everyone else.

Thanks for the update Simon.
zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Ruerin on Feb 26, 2011, 03:29:20
Slowly gotten better for me over the past hour, however Steam remains unable to connect at my end (along with a couple of other sites). Thanks for the info and let's hope everything is resolved soon!

e: Steam seems to be working now along with everything else. All good for me.

That does seem to be the case here as well.

:welc: :karma:
zap
--------------------

silverblade

Mine seems to be getting worse.

I was playing an online game, and listening to an online radio station.

The game conked out several times, so gave up with that and started a shell session on a couple of remote servers. The US based one dropped the connection but the UK one stayed up so I continued working on that.

Now both are up but are veeeeeeeerrrry slow.

And the online radio is having buffering issues.

I'm guessing that even though this is supposedly fixed now, it'll probably cause problems throughout the weekend...

Steve

heartgraffiti,Ruerin and kaltern  :welc: :karma:

BTW are things working again now? It seems ok from my brief wander round.
Steve
------------

zappaDPJ

It seemed to be a slow fix in that it took a while for some sites to become reachable again but it all seems fine now.
zap
--------------------

Ray

:welc: :karma:
heartgraffiti,Ruerin and kaltern 
Ray
--------------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------