SSID SBC 4.25 Power Issues

Started by stuwhite, Feb 26, 2011, 11:08:57

Previous topic - Next topic

stuwhite

Hi

Sorry if this is an obvious one, I am pretty new to this.
I have an early SSID 2700 HGV which i have just obtained new and sealed in the box.

I have managed to flash it with the SBD version 4.25.19 SBC firmware and its working fine. Connected up to Sky broadband no problem and has been running quite happily.

However, The power settings are only giving me options 1-4 and the channels are only giving me options 5,6 and 7.

I have read and followed this tutorial: http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/021.htm

and i note it says:

If the number of wireless channels and power settings do not change immediately after entering the manual key code, please be patient.  The hub frequently contacts the 2Wire provisioning servers, and if the servers do not respond, the hub may not update these settings immediately after entering the key code.  Simply leave the hub with its current key code for a few hours or a few days while connected to the internet and hopefully the wireless settings in the menus should automatically update.   You may also wish to try an alternative keycode, such as the standard BT keycode: 528Y-27G4-A222-22BJ-B22V

I have had it running for a couple of weeks now and still no change. I have also tried changing to the standard BT keycode as suggested.

And i also note:

(Update 21 Apr 09):  Two reports in past month from owners of hubs with hardware version '2701-100588-005'  (Assy no. 4201-003003-006) advising they only see 3 wireless channels and wireless power level settings 1-4.

My router is one of these assy no. 4201-003003-006.

Has anyone got any idea whether there is a fix for this? Can i upgrade to the singtel v5 firmware? I basically want to increase the power to provide better wireless signal at the other end of the house (I know its not strictly legal in the UK) otherwise i may as well have stuck with my old sky netgear router.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Stu

Rik

Hi Stu and welcome to the forum. :welc: :karma:

One of our 2700 experts will be along in a while.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Ray

Ray
--------------------

Steve

:welc: :karma: Stu Not a 2 wire user either but I think the default minimum downstream margin for the Singtel firmware is 8db I believe so if your on a long line you may lose some of your downstream sync
Steve
------------

Polchraine

If you get the BT software you will find that the power level is restricted to the lowest level and will need to edit the appropriate page every time you reboot the device.     Does it do everything you need?  or do you need a different wireless channel?

I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets.

kinmel

The 2Wire provisioning servers are no longer supporting V4 firmwares and the update to 10 power levels will not happen.

You can use the Singtel firmware, but as said your SNR will go up

Why not use the 2700 as a bridge to extend the Netgear's range ?
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

stuwhite

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I am about 4km from the exchange so I think I will have a go at configuring it to use as a bridge as kinmel suggested. I was just hoping to avoid having an ugly box sat in the living room!

Thanks again