Negative SNR !!!!!

Started by kinmel, Mar 14, 2011, 20:50:38

Previous topic - Next topic

kinmel

It is not often that you get a negative SNR and maintain the sync, but mine has been dipping below zero and just climbing back up above for a while all day long.  :thumb:

On Adsl2+ it has a nominal 3dB margin and has been hanging in there since Christmas.

Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Lance

The modem must be working right at its limits to maintain the sync.
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Polchraine

The lowest mine ever went to was -0.7 ... it would often sit down at -0.1 or -0.2 for quite long periods (tens of minutes).

It does show how good the front end of the 2700 actually is.

I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

esh

If I'm thinking correctly, -0.7dB would mean the noise is actually more significant than the signal by a factor of ~1.2. Something like that anyway.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

Polchraine

Quote from: esh on Mar 15, 2011, 11:30:23
If I'm thinking correctly, -0.7dB would mean the noise is actually more significant than the signal by a factor of ~1.2. Something like that anyway.

Yes - but remember that the noise is measured and averaged across the band as is the power of the signal.   There could be a very noisy part of the spectrum which creates that effect - but it still shows how well the 2700 copes with high noise levels.

There are comms systems where the signal can be 10 or 20 dB below the noise floor - but by careful use of multiple antennas and electronic beam steering (introducing nano delays) it is possible to bring the signal up above the noise.
I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets.