Traffic shaping

Started by stevenrw, Mar 15, 2011, 22:48:58

Previous topic - Next topic

stevenrw

Interesting article this evening on the BBC news site

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12730440

zappaDPJ

Useful link that. The next time the Sky sales person tells me they don't traffic shape, I can give them the link ;D
zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Technical Ben

The BT sales person had nothing to say to me in reply...
"Hi, would you come to use if we saved you money!"
"No, I think the service is more important."
"What?! By we can save you money?"

Then he put down the phone.  ;D
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Rik

And for most people, that would be enough, Ben.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Technical Ben

(In response to the article)
No! No! No! No! When will the media and others stop listening to the big FAT CATS and their greedy wallets?!
Quote"Go and ask someone on an ISP that doesn't use traffic management," said Andrew Ferguson, editor of the independent website Thinkbroadband.com.

"When congestion kicks in on a Friday night, they are the people who can't go and play on their Xbox Live, they can't play PlayStation online, because latency [network delay] has gone through the roof.

I do not have the right to complain my customers are driving me out of business if I choose to mislead them into thinking I can provide something I cannot!
If I sold a car with "free, unlimited fuel for 1 year!" and only sold it for "£8.99 per month" do you think I'd have a right to complain laws need to be passed to make it economically viable?  :rant2:  :shake:  :slap:

Take one look at IDNet Mr BBC reporter. They do not traffic shape, and have zero congestion.  :thumb:

[edit]
Plus I know other customers have the same problems because of traffic management. So it will not stop the xboxs breaking. The entire argument is based on miss truths!
[double edit]
The only ones wanting to put this through, are those who cannot manage their network!
"The code will be piloted by BSkyB, BT, O2, TalkTalk, Three, Virgin Media and Vodafone during 2011,"
If these companies offered "metered" or lower speed networking (when that is all the infrastructure can cope with) then it would not be a problem.
Else, offer "up to 24mb off peak, 5mb peak" services.
However, managing based on site or type of traffic, is akin to Royal Mail imposing a speed limit of 15 miles per hour on Cabbies!

[And finally]
So, you have to pay to have a connection. Now you have to pay to use certain programs on that connection.  :slap:
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

sobranie

So will we see traffic management on all VPN servers just in case they're doing a crafty d/l at 3am????????