FTTC - 2700's and Firewalls

Started by Odos, Mar 16, 2011, 21:36:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Odos

A question for you net and 2700 experts. I'm tempted to switch to FTTC. Unfortunately this is not with IDNet as they don't offer it in this area but with an ISP signed up to South Yorkshires Digital Region. The plan I'm considering is 50gig download for £16.50pm. Now the problem arises that the ISP only supplies a locked down wireless VDSL modem so no firewall. :( I don't have a home network so I don't need any network facilities, but I do like a firewall. so I have two questions.

1) Is a hardware/router firewall really needed or is windows software firewall sufficient ( with a/v of course )

If the answer is no then :

2) I have two 2700HGV's ( a ver 5 and a ver 6 ) and a Speedtouch 585. The question is can I use any of those modem/routers as just a router only to furnish the firewall or would I have to buy a dedicated router?

Thanks

Tony

Steve

http://www.digitalregion.co.uk/residents/the-technology

The modem looks like it has a router option to provide a DHCP service , someone will correct me if I'm wrong but the other ports may allow an ethernet connection to  a router with a WAN input to allow a PPPOE connection. BTW as far as I am aware the 2700 and the 585 do not have the facility to take a WAN input on their ethernet ports.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Lance

I prefer a hardware firewall simply because it means that my pc doesn't have to deal with rejecting port scans etc. That said, I do just run the windows firewall too.

As for the networking, pass!
Lance
_____

Odos

Thanks for the replies guys  :thumb:

I asked the questions after reading a few threads on local forums of people that are already connected using Ripwire ( the ISP in question ) and in all the threads I've read they state the modem supplied is a four port but three of those ports are deactivated and it's locked down so the configuration interface cannot be accessed by the customer. According to them if you want routing or a firewall or any other facilities you have to use your own equipment after the modem.

Hmmm, might need to do some more thinking on this as the cost seems to be rising if I want a hardware firewall  :dunno:

Tony

Tacitus

Quote from: Odos on Mar 16, 2011, 22:57:28
Hmmm, might need to do some more thinking on this as the cost seems to be rising if I want a hardware firewall  :dunno:

Check out eBay.  I found a small Zywall for £25 and I have seen the occasional Draytek for not much more.

Odos

Thanks for all the replies, I contacted the ISP direct and was informed they have to supply the routers locked down, it's a stipulation of the network managers ( Thales ) anyway I've taken the plunge today and signed up for fibre broadband from Ripwire. I'll just have to see how things progress.
Tony

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Odos

Thanks Rik.  :thumb:

I would have preferred to stay with IDNet but the present fibre network in South Yorkshire is privately owned by the local councils not BT, so I didn't have any real choice. TBH I can't see BT bothering with a fibre network in this area now unless they rent from Digital Region which, to me at least, seems very unlikely.

Tony

Rik

I take your point. It's nice to see BT's stranglehold being broken, though, isn't it. :)
Rik
--------------------

Odos

Quote from: Rik on Mar 18, 2011, 12:26:27
I take your point. It's nice to see BT's stranglehold being broken, though, isn't it. :)

Very true  ;D

They do however still manage to take a cut  :grrr: because they charge £70 to install a jumper lead from the present CAB to the Fibre CAB. At least it's only a one off payment  :sigh:

Tony

Rik

I thought they charged that just for thinking about doing it. ;)
Rik
--------------------