2700 Bridge mode & wireless

Started by Tacitus, Mar 29, 2011, 17:29:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Tacitus

Am I correct in thinking that if the 2700 is run in bridge mode, wireless is disabled?

Rik

Not afaik, Tac, the 2700 can be used as a wireless access point.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

MisterW

BUT if its in Bridge Mode it's effectively an ADSL modem so I would assume, like Tac, that the wireless would be disabled. I've never tried bridge mode but given that routing and any DHCP server must be disabled, I'm not sure how the wireless could function in that mode.

pctech

would agree with MisterW unless of course it just pases through the IDNet assigned address but that means you'll only be able to connect one device.

Rik

I bow to your superior knowledge. I did have mine set up in bridged mode for a while and it still functioned as a router.  :dunno:
Rik
--------------------

Steve

I think there's a confusion with the term 'bridge mode', firstly acting as a modem to pass the wan IP to the router and secondly bridge mode is also used when the router acts as an additional wireless access point with NAT and DHCP functions disabled.
Steve
------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

pctech

Indeed Steve but the OP does not state whether he has more than one device.

Steve

I thought the discussion was about 'bridge mode'.
Steve
------------

Tacitus

What I was getting at was that if I switch the 2700 to bridge mode to pass the WAN IP to (say) a separate firewall, (EG one with a VPN endpoint), then the 2700 would be acting as a modem only.   In this case would the wireless function be disabled? 

If it isn't, where does it get a LAN IP from?  Alternatively how would it pass a LAN IP to any wireless connected device?  AFAICT if wireless  functions at all, it must surely be on the WAN side of any extraneous firewall.

Steve

If it acts as modem only it will have no IP address and it's sole purpose is to pass on the WAN IP address,therefore it has no IP address or routing functions and the wifi will be effectively disabled.
Steve
------------

MisterW

You may find that the wireless is not actually disabled but as you say Tac , where does it get a Lan IP from ? answer nowhere.
In bridge mode the router IP is set to 192.168.1.254 with the DHCP and NAT disabled. If you connect a PC to one of the lan ports with a static IP in the 192.168.1.x then you can get to the web configuration. I would guess that you could probably do the same with a wireless device if it has a static IP in the same subnet, but all you will be able to do is get to the web configuration , nowhere else, as routing and NAT are disabled.

Tacitus

Quote from: MisterW on Mar 29, 2011, 19:00:22
You may find that the wireless is not actually disabled but as you say Tac , where does it get a Lan IP from ? answer nowhere.
In bridge mode the router IP is set to 192.168.1.254 with the DHCP and NAT disabled. If you connect a PC to one of the lan ports with a static IP in the 192.168.1.x then you can get to the web configuration. I would guess that you could probably do the same with a wireless device if it has a static IP in the same subnet, but all you will be able to do is get to the web configuration , nowhere else, as routing and NAT are disabled.

I guess the answer would be to disable wireless before going to bridge mode when it should remain disabled.  Any need to get line stats would have to be done with a wired connection to one of the spare ethernet ports.

Thanks for the help  :)

jameshurrell

I run two 2700s in front of a dual WAN draytek 2910. I can confirm that the wireless will still broadcast in bridge mode, but as stated Nat, routing and dhcp are disabled so even if you connect wirelessly, using a manually configured ip address all you'll be able to access is the web configuration utility. You can disable the wireless when in bridge mode as this is what I had to do when I ended up with at least 4 extra wireless networks being broadcast!

For anyone else thinking of getting a 2700 for long line issues, I'd highly recommend it. On a 59db line the v5 is synching at 2400 and on the other line at 63 db a v6 manages 1000. Better than anything else I've tried.

Edit: yes to check line stats you need to manually connect up using a wired connection.