How long should I give from switching ISP to testing IDNET speed?

Started by Tetlee, Mar 28, 2011, 20:17:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Tetlee

Quote from: Rik on Apr 01, 2011, 17:58:17
Do you have an external grey test socket? I gather IDNet are lending you a router, it will be in the post on Monday. As you've already found out. ;)

No, there isn't any test socket on our master socket, used to be on the old one but BT replaced that with an ADSL v1.0 master socket which has the filter built in, reomved the facia but no test socket like the last one had.

Rik

Odd, the only ones like that which I've come across have been when external demarcation points are installed.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Tetlee

In the router settings, what should go in the VPI(currently 0) and VCI(currently 38) sections? and what Encapsulation Mode(currently VC/MUX)?

Just wondering if there could be anything in the current settings that are causing issues.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Rik

So did I, Glenn, which is why I'm wondering if there's an external demarcation point.
Rik
--------------------

Tetlee

Quote from: Glenn on Apr 02, 2011, 12:44:16
I thought all filtered ADSL faceplates had  a test socket behind them  :dunno: http://www.bttorj45.com/NTE5%20ADSL%20faceplate%20instructions.pdf

I will appologise, in my stupidity I was looking for a socket the same type as the modem socket, and thought that phone line socket was simply to connect the front plate seeing as that plugs into it, I'm sure the previous facia I had used to have a seperate specific test socket.

Test through actual test socket...

Anyway, plugged into it now but doesn't improve anything :shake: Both the wife and I are getting really frustrated with this now, never thought we'd be going through this after changing ISP, pretty gutted TBH as we use the internet alot, especially me as I usually game online most nights :whistle:(zero chance of that this week).

I'm still convinced it isn't the master socket, it was fine with both BT and Sky, and really don't think it's the router either as that was working perfectly on Monday and out of 100+ reviews there's barely a reported problem with it(of course I'm aware it could be faulty but I doubt that personally).

It really seems that something has happened either at IDNet's end, or at the exchange, which drives me crazy as I'm pretty powerless to do anything and am now stuck paying more for internet that I would say is worst than dial-up.

Rik

You would have had a lift an shift at the exchange, my instinct would be to look there first. There's nothing IDNet can do to limit your sync speed, this is a local issue.

We do know of several cases of incompatibility between routers and BT's Huawei MSAN's, btw.
Rik
--------------------

Tetlee

Quote from: Rik on Apr 02, 2011, 18:38:01
You would have had a lift an shift at the exchange, my instinct would be to look there first. There's nothing IDNet can do to limit your sync speed, this is a local issue.

We do know of several cases of incompatibility between routers and BT's Huawei MSAN's, btw.

Who do I contact about the exchange then, BT? And will I run the risk of the £180 bill if they check and find there isn't a fault there?

Had a bright idea to go out and purchase another router and take advantage of a sale/return in order to test earlier, but sadly my plan was foiled as modem/routers seem to be exempt from the usual return agreements.

Rik

You have to do this through IDNet. Try their router, if that solves the problem we know the answer, if it doesn't, they can start digging. Do use the test socket when you try it though. Until the router is ruled out or in, you do run the risk of a hefty BT charge.
Rik
--------------------

Tetlee

Quote from: Rik on Apr 02, 2011, 18:38:01We do know of several cases of incompatibility between routers and BT's Huawei MSAN's, btw.

I suppose this could be a possibility, but again the fact it worked fine on Monday confuses the hell out of me. As as side note on the router box it does state "for BT connections", so it should be compatible, oh and it is an ADSL2+ router. Even with this could it still be incompatible with my IDNet connection?

Oh, and again thank you for your continued responses, I very much appreciate the effort and have been amazed how quickly I've received replys every time I post :pat:

Tetlee

Quote from: Rik on Apr 02, 2011, 18:43:55
You have to do this through IDNet. Try their router, if that solves the problem we know the answer, if it doesn't, they can start digging. Do use the test socket when you try it though. Until the router is ruled out or in, you do run the risk of a hefty BT charge.

Yes, fair comment, I suppose I just have to sit and wait until next week, as frustrating as that may be. Will leave it there for now and report back hopefully around the middle of next week once I've received the router.

Glenn

If you are close to Reading, I could drop you a 2Wire router tomorrow so you could try that
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: Tetlee on Apr 02, 2011, 18:47:25
I suppose this could be a possibility, but again the fact it worked fine on Monday confuses the hell out of me. As as side note on the router box it does state "for BT connections", so it should be compatible, oh and it is an ADSL2+ router. Even with this could it still be incompatible with my IDNet connection?

It's not an IDNet connection, even though you're paying them for the service. The link between you and the exchange is purely a BT Openreach one, and it's their choice of MSAN's which has caused problems with some routers in the past. It is IDNet's job to resolve the issue, which they will do to the best of their ability, but before they move to involving an engineer, they will seek to exclude your internal wiring, hence the use of the test socket, and your equipment. That's done to protect you as far as is possible from a BT charge.

QuoteOh, and again thank you for your continued responses, I very much appreciate the effort and have been amazed how quickly I've received replys every time I post :pat:

We're happy to help if we can. :)
Rik
--------------------

Tetlee

Quote from: Glenn on Apr 02, 2011, 18:51:48
If you are close to Reading, I could drop you a 2Wire router tomorrow so you could try that

That's very good of you to offer, but I'm down in Somerset so a bit far to drop ;D

Steve

When you receive the 'loan' router it would good to see the router stats on immediate connection to the test socket.
Steve
------------

Tetlee

Quote from: Steve on Apr 02, 2011, 19:12:21
When you receive the 'loan' router it would good to see the router stats on immediate connection to the test socket.

If you mean to run the BT speedtest(from test socket) and post the results, then I will do so once I receive it.

pctech

Steve

I'd like to see the downstream sync and downstream noise margin from the router stats.
Steve
------------

lozcart

Quote from: Steve on Apr 02, 2011, 19:12:21

When I had the IDnet test router it was password protected so unfortunately I couldn't access the stats. I think IDnet do this so you can't mess with the settings.  ;)

pctech

All Netgears are password protected

Try Admin as user and password or perhaps IDNet

Rik

Or we can ask IDNet... If you call them when you're ready to connect, Tetlee, they can watch the line come up and see what the stats are at that point.
Rik
--------------------

lozcart

That's what I had to do Rik, let IDnet view the stats from there end. I tried all the normal Netgear passwords but the router was locked down.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Tetlee

Quote from: Rik on Apr 03, 2011, 10:53:05
Or we can ask IDNet... If you call them when you're ready to connect, Tetlee, they can watch the line come up and see what the stats are at that point.

Well, received the test router yesterday, called support before plugging it in but they weren't interested in doing the above(checking stats), just adivsed that we give it a few days using the test router and see if we find any improvement. The thing is our computers are upstairs and the router being wired only was going to be an inconveniece for us, so after giving it a test run and finding the exact same speed(0.12mbps) as with our other router, we decided to go with the suggestion of what the support guy(Brian) thought could be causing the problem. Turns out our line just seems to be unable to carry the ADSL2+ connection without losing stability, so asked to be switched back to standard ADSL, shame as main reason for switching was to get ADSL2+ and hopefully an extra half meg or more boost to our connection, but as least we're back to normal again, tonights speed test...

Will see how things pan out, if we don't feel the usual slow down on weekends then we'll probably stick with IDNet, but if we do(being on BTs line and some distance from exchange that could be quite likely) then we may as well switch back to a cheaper provider without the download limitations(realise now 15GB is going to be very tight for us but can't afford more), probably SKY.

Anyway, a huge thanks for all who contributed to this thread, your answers have been very helpful and this forum seems to be a shining example, much appreciated :thumb: