No service

Started by cn1001, Mar 30, 2011, 17:51:17

Previous topic - Next topic

cn1001

Internet went down about 5.30pm. Rg2 postcode. Any news?

cn1001

http://status.aa.net.uk/apost.cgi?incident=903

Just found this. Good old BT's fault, again. Always seems to happen when I am ' working from home' to

Rik

They are watching you. ;)
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

cn1001

Think they are Rik!  :mad:

Glad I saved what I was working on before it went down  :thumb:

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Glenn

I'm glad that the service to the Camberley area is not routed through Reading.
Glenn
--------------------

Mouseroo

No service here either: TA1 postcode (01823 dialing code)
Andy
----------

Your ability to bang your head against reality in the hope that reality will crack first is impressive, but futile!

Rik

Anyone routing through Slough or Reading will have no service. There are, iirc, 21 metro nodes, and 3 have failed in the past 18 hours. It's really not good enough, imo.
Rik
--------------------

Glenn

Service: Announcement
Updated: 2011-03-30 18:42:54
State: Sub-Optimal Service
Message: This appears to be a major fibre break in the Reading/Slough area so the time the repair will likely be quite long.
Glenn
--------------------

netn00b

I am in devon. TQ postcode and it was fine 90 mins ago /sigh.

bat400

No service in EX2 (Exeter, Sowton Exchange) since I got home.

:-\

Glenn

Any exchanges that are routed through Slough/Reading, will be affected.
Glenn
--------------------

gha128

Wokingham down
Glad I pad all that cash for fibre....cheers BT
guy

Steve

Sorry Guy , but welcome to Idnetters anyway. :welc: :karma:
Steve
------------

gha128

Cheers Steve
Sorry first post was a bit negative. Been an Idnet customer for about 4 years now and very happy at that.
Guy

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Polchraine

I have heard that it is not a failure but a physical break caused by either vandalism or a careless contractor ...

I know how bad it can be too ... a few years back I had two leased high capacity circuits running across the UK (42Mb each) and they were diversely routed.  At 4 AM Saturday morning one went down at that turned out to be vandalism/theft of copper - fine we had a spare specifically to cater for that type of problem.  8:30 AM the second went down - a contractor put a JCB through the cables!

I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets.

Intenti0n

Phew! , i am not alone  :)

My internet has been offline for the last few hours. I am in the Hounslow TW3 west london area.

Initially i thought there was something wrong with my password as i was getting authentication errors. So i spent the last 40mins troubleshooting passwords :red:

fingers crossed it gets resolved soon.

thanks

Glenn

:welc: :karma:    Intenti0n
Glenn
--------------------

dunkers

Does this BT problem only affect IDNet (again)? My Entanet line, also 21CN, is unaffected.

Glenn

QuoteAll lines dropped on 100% 20CN-REGION-READING and 100% 21CN-REGION-SL - Open    Today 20:03:58
Details
Today 17:54:24    

All lines on 100% 20CN-REGION-READING and 100% 21CN-REGION-SL dropped at 2011-03-30 17:35:17
We have advised BT
This is likely to have affected multiple internet providers using BT
From AAISP's status page
Glenn
--------------------

dunkers

Strange. Not that I'm complaining that one line still works, of course... :)

Glenn

Dunkers, from Entanets pages, it looks like they use their own version of a 21CN http://www.enta.net/About-Entanet/Entanet-Network/
Glenn
--------------------

silverblade

"2011-03-30 22:15: No useful update from BT as yet."

I wonder what update they were given?  :whistle:

psp83

Quote from: silverblade on Mar 30, 2011, 22:42:47
"2011-03-30 22:15: No useful update from BT as yet."

I wonder what update they were given?  :whistle:

"still broke, waiting for the kettle to boil before I do anything else"

pctech

"Err, we're still working out how to trace a fibre break"

psp83

"google not working so can't find out how to fix a fibre break"  ;D

pctech

"Engineer has gone for his dinner break and is looking for the nearest kebab shop"

Steve

Perhaps as mentioned elsewhere http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-12860235  it  was the large stolen block of kebab meat that fell on the fibre and broke it. The status report should read - several BT engineers are currently looking for some hot chilli sauce before they can eat their way through to the damaged fibre.
Steve
------------

silverblade

So... I had a little look around at various other ISP status pages - mainly because it tends to feel like the small ISPs get the short end of the stick with these matters.

I notice Plusnet are also experiencing this problem, their status updates seem fairly verbose.

Perhaps somewhat amusingly, it also appears BT broadband is affected, and they are providing the most insightful update of all:

"Estimated time to resolve: 2hrs
We know that some of our customers in the Slough area are having trouble getting online at the moment. Sorry about this. We're working to fix the problem as quickly as we can"

Oh also, AAISP's site mentions:
"The outage has been identifed by BT as an issue with a 21CN core router in Slough. Engineers are trying to restore connections. Earlier information appears to be incorrect - it is not a cable failure."

dunkers

Quote from: Glenn on Mar 30, 2011, 21:52:19
Dunkers, from Entanets pages, it looks like they use their own version of a 21CN http://www.enta.net/About-Entanet/Entanet-Network/
Ah! I knew they were involved at an early stage with 21CN, but didn't realise it was a kind of parallel thing.

Bill

Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Steve

There are reports that the fault has now been resolved,
Steve
------------

Athena

Only just got back on the grid myself. LCP is looking very iffy (got a drop right after CHAP success last go), so I'm not sure I'm out of the woods yet.

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Steve

Steve
------------

Ray

Ray
--------------------

Athena

Looking good for now. It does however make me wonder what they hire at BT. Monkeys?

Thanks for the welcome folks :)

Technical Ben

Quote from: gha128 on Mar 30, 2011, 19:46:38
Wokingham down
Glad I pad all that cash for fibre....cheers BT
guy
I hope BT Guy is not as crazy as "Cable Guy".  :whistle:
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Rik

Worse, far worse. :)
Rik
--------------------

pctech

As usual, BT giving different answers to different companies and left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

Rik

Interesting article on ThinkBroadband, which explains why smaller ISPs are more affected by network failures than large ones.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/4629-bt-equipment-problem-takes-9000-broadband-users-offline.html

QuoteReports suggest the issue seemed to be mostly restricted to smaller broadband providers using Wholesale Managed Broadband Connect (WMBC) and not those on the Wholesale Broadband Connect (WBC) service which is more prevalent across larger networks
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Apr 04, 2011, 10:18:23
Interesting article on ThinkBroadband, which explains why smaller ISPs are more affected by network failures than large ones.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/4629-bt-equipment-problem-takes-9000-broadband-users-offline.html

Not what small broadband providers are needing in tough times like these  :shake:
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

Indeed. It does though, answer the question we often hear, "Why is IDNet affected when <insert big ISP name> isn't".
Rik
--------------------

Tacitus

What is the difference between "Wholesale Managed Broadband Connect" (WMBC) and  "Wholesale Broadband Connect" (WBC)?  Is it that BT have a greater involvement in the former compared to the latter, or is the former cheaper and therefore more used by smaller ISPs?

Rik

My best guess would be that WMBC is managed by BTw, Tac, and more suited to smaller networks. If anything, I'd expect it to be more expensive.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Apr 04, 2011, 10:30:27
My best guess would be that WMBC is managed by BTw, Tac, and more suited to smaller networks. If anything, I'd expect it to be more expensive.
The bigger ISP's can afford that which does start to make you wonder, even though Idnets service is great you pay a premium for a less resilient service which seems  back to front, but you also have the added benefits of the smaller ISP services with CS and no throttling etc, but how long before one out weighs the other I wonder?

Rik

A question that customers and ISPs are juggling with, Gary.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Apr 04, 2011, 10:42:59
A question that customers and ISPs are juggling with, Gary.
This is the first year where I really am weighing up that equation with more factors than speed etc. If Xilo did a telephone plan, I would get a more resilient service in theory as they resell CPW LLU, It's cheaper than IDNets service now for adsl max which is all I can get, and lastly doubling my speeds almost is tempting for the same monthly outlay.

I just feel happy with IDNet but finance and other factors are pushing more and more, at some point the value I get will no longer be worth the outlay I fear, simply because we have no WBC or FTTC insight and if the smaller ISP's are going to keep getting hit by outages beyond their control then other packages look to be a better option. I dread the idea of moving, I like IDNet but the great CS is getting to be less of a reason to stay as time marches on, as my service along with many others in rural areas with low numbers of customers to attract upgrades are finding out. My service is slipping into the stone age of BB and in the end my hand will be forced.  :(

Steve

As far as I understand it WBC is equivalent to the old BT datastream and WBMC the old IPstream, although both products can be run by the same ISP however in order to run WBC they must have presence at the WBC aggregation points. There are twenty of these and there is a considerable initial outlay and running costs to be covered.
Steve
------------

Simon

So, do we know what IDNet use?
Simon.
--

Steve

My guess is WBMC as only the big boys can afford WBC.
Steve
------------

Rik

I'd agree, Steve.
Rik
--------------------

Steve

The information is on this page http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchanges/21cn_broadband. The aggregation point rental for instance is £48,000 pa each and there are 20 of those plus there are other associated costs
Steve
------------

Rik

Nice find, Steve.  :thumb:
Rik
--------------------

Steve

I guess WBC has the same issues as datastream had that in order to cover the outlay high contention is the norm.
Steve
------------

Rik

That and the need for a much larger customer base to make it viable.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

So al in all you will probably never get a more resilient service from a small niche provider, and as the BT system seem groans under the weight of new users and more to the point high traffic, it could get worse possibly?

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Technical Ben

Possible? Definitely!?  :o
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Tacitus

Quote from: Gary on Apr 04, 2011, 10:59:51
......I just feel happy with IDNet but finance and other factors are pushing more and more, at some point the value I get will no longer be worth the outlay I fear, simply because we have no WBC or FTTC insight and if the smaller ISP's are going to keep getting hit by outages beyond their control then other packages look to be a better option. ........

I think that's the dilemma I will find.  Although I feel iDNet are an excellent ISP, the lack of 21CN in this area and, pretty much zero chance of a move to fibre within my lifetime means that at some point I may be forced to consider my options.  Given that TT are the only viable LLU supplier on this exchange, that would probably mean a move to someone similar to Xilo who are able to offer something via TT wholesale.  

It's one reason I'm sorry that iDNet don't seem to be able to make the numbers stack up to be able to offer something similar.  Since decision time is unlikely to be for a while, it might be by that point that circumstances will change and such a service does become viable for them.

From what I understand Xilo will shortly be offering a service over Opal which will allow you to keep your phone line with iDNet.