No service

Started by cn1001, Mar 30, 2011, 17:51:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

So, do we know what IDNet use?
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Steve

My guess is WBMC as only the big boys can afford WBC.
Steve
------------

Rik

I'd agree, Steve.
Rik
--------------------

Steve

The information is on this page http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchanges/21cn_broadband. The aggregation point rental for instance is £48,000 pa each and there are 20 of those plus there are other associated costs
Steve
------------

Rik

Nice find, Steve.  :thumb:
Rik
--------------------

Steve

I guess WBC has the same issues as datastream had that in order to cover the outlay high contention is the norm.
Steve
------------

Rik

That and the need for a much larger customer base to make it viable.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

So al in all you will probably never get a more resilient service from a small niche provider, and as the BT system seem groans under the weight of new users and more to the point high traffic, it could get worse possibly?
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Technical Ben

Possible? Definitely!?  :o
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Tacitus

Quote from: Gary on Apr 04, 2011, 10:59:51
......I just feel happy with IDNet but finance and other factors are pushing more and more, at some point the value I get will no longer be worth the outlay I fear, simply because we have no WBC or FTTC insight and if the smaller ISP's are going to keep getting hit by outages beyond their control then other packages look to be a better option. ........

I think that's the dilemma I will find.  Although I feel iDNet are an excellent ISP, the lack of 21CN in this area and, pretty much zero chance of a move to fibre within my lifetime means that at some point I may be forced to consider my options.  Given that TT are the only viable LLU supplier on this exchange, that would probably mean a move to someone similar to Xilo who are able to offer something via TT wholesale.  

It's one reason I'm sorry that iDNet don't seem to be able to make the numbers stack up to be able to offer something similar.  Since decision time is unlikely to be for a while, it might be by that point that circumstances will change and such a service does become viable for them.

From what I understand Xilo will shortly be offering a service over Opal which will allow you to keep your phone line with iDNet.