Xilo Clarification?

Started by wdforte, Apr 04, 2011, 19:10:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

They can be competitive with the likes of IDNet, Zen etc if your usage pattern fits with their off-peak periods... mine doesn't so they're not!
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Rik

We do know that IDNet have been investing in fibre, ethernet and more bandwidth, Tac, so I tend to agree with you. It's a very chicken and egg situation, I suspect, where the 'unit price' for a connection depends on the number of connections, so it's not only a financial risk, but it would be very hard to set up a tariff. It may well be that which makes AAISP's Be connections more expensive than their BT ones.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

pctech

I did research setting up an ISP a few years back and stopped after I saw the price of BT Centrals.

Rik

No cheap, are they, Mitch.  :o
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

cavillas

Quote from: Rik on May 05, 2011, 19:10:29
No cheap, are they, Mitch.  :o
Or always reliable for what you have to pay either.
------
Alf :)

DorsetBoy

Quote from: cavillas on May 05, 2011, 19:19:56
Or always reliable for what you have to pay either.

All the more reason to go LLU and get away from that equipment then  ;)

Tacitus

Quote from: Rik on May 05, 2011, 18:59:10
We do know that IDNet have been investing in fibre, ethernet and more bandwidth, Tac, so I tend to agree with you.

One good thing about the investment in addtional capacity that Simon_iDNet referred to in a recent post is that it suggests the demand is there and the business is growing  ;D 

Quote from: Rik on May 05, 2011, 18:59:10
It's a very chicken and egg situation, I suspect, where the 'unit price' for a connection depends on the number of connections, so it's not only a financial risk, but it would be very hard to set up a tariff. It may well be that which makes AAISP's Be connections more expensive than their BT ones.

If (and of course we don't know), this was the case it would have been pretty near impossible for iDNet to make it stack up since there were too many imponderables.  Maybe a risk worth taking if you have major financial backing, but not for a business like iDNet, especially if they are already committed to significant additional investment in their BT based operation.

Technical Ben

Quote from: DorsetBoy on May 05, 2011, 19:28:31

All the more reason to go LLU and get away from that equipment then  ;)
I looked at building my own too. But it involved lots more beer and stickytaped routers.  :whistle:
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

DorsetBoy

Quote from: Technical Ben on May 07, 2011, 21:46:03
I looked at building my own too. But it involved lots more beer and stickytaped routers.  :whistle:

A copy of most BT exchanges then  ;D