Rubbish connection today

Started by ou7shined, Apr 05, 2011, 20:24:27

Previous topic - Next topic

jezuk1

QuoteI know that the big ISP's circumvent this sometimes as was described in a different post and its down to cost really as small ISP's can't afford the resilience of the bigger ones, and I know IDnet do the best they can, but its still starting to test my patience

In general, with large companies you are just a number and getting personal support is possibly harder too. There aren't many ISPs that I've experienced where you can post on a forum like this and get a response from an admin or employee within minutes. I'd much rather have the good support to be honest. Also, the grass isn't always greener - I've been with large providers in the past and there have been plenty of problems with their network, dare I say far more than I've ever seen with Idnet. In 3 years with Idnet the total downtime has been no more than a day or two and I think that's really good, not to mention most of the downtime wasn't even their fault :)

Gary

Quote from: jezuk1 on Apr 05, 2011, 22:30:21
In general, with large companies you are just a number and getting personal support is possibly harder too. There aren't many ISPs that I've experienced where you can post on a forum like this and get a response from an admin or employee within minutes. I'd much rather have the good support to be honest. Also, the grass isn't always greener - I've been with large providers in the past and there have been plenty of problems with their network, dare I say far more than I've ever seen with Idnet. In 3 years with Idnet the total downtime has been no more than a day or two and I think that's really good, not to mention most of the downtime wasn't even their fault :)
Oh I know, I have been with Large ISP's before and have been with IDNet for a few years now, but the last few months there has been so many issues with BT that IDNet cannot control through no fault of their own that dont effect my neighbours with the bigger ISP's its just getting really annoying, trying to order online medication from my doctors surgery tonight is impossible, If I move it will be to Xilo, the only thing holding me back is the phone package as full LLU means the phone goes from IDNet to Xilo who dont run a phone package.

Customer service and support is great, but that's only part of the equation, cost,  performance and reliability are also big parts, sadly IDNet cannot control BT or have the resilience against outages that the big ISP's can as its just to expensive it appears  :( Xilo is looking so tempting as thats my only exchange choice, the last few months there has been more and more problems as BT's networks is groaning under the weight of its FTTC and ADSL2+ services which seem to be showing the cracks as the loads increase, neither of which I can get by the way which just sticks the knife in a bit more. I keep holding out as IDNet are great a great company but the product they sell is not (BT side) the rest is brilliant, but they can't change BT or use another provider so in the end sometimes you have to move even though its the last thing you want to do, time will tell but I can't see BT getting better anytime soon.

Damned, if you do damned if you don't

ou7shined

Quote from: jezuk1 on Apr 05, 2011, 22:30:21
But what's the point getting straight through to support when all they can do is say "it's BT's fault, hold tight until they get an engineer on to it"
Rich.

Klaatu barada nikto!

Gary

Still having some sites loading very slowly  :sigh: Amazon seems to be one, it seems to take to clicks to get there., then its fine then its slow again.

Technical Ben

The thing is, IDNet do have backups, but these are also on BT lines/equipment.  :shake:
So the bigger ISP may have backup of it's own, it may not be any different from BT. But they use it better. Still, IDNet are the best resellers of BT services. No one can match it.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Gary

Quote from: Technical Ben on Apr 06, 2011, 08:33:49
The thing is, IDNet do have backups, but these are also on BT lines/equipment.  :shake:
So the bigger ISP may have backup of it's own, it may not be any different from BT. But they use it better. Still, IDNet are the best resellers of BT services. No one can match it.
I agree, but the number of issues recently seem to be growing, being left in the lap of BT even with a great reseller is proving to be very unreliable.  Full LLU may be a better option  :-\

Simon_idnet

If I were to be charitable to BT I would point out that their recent and ongoing engineering works have the stated aim of adding links/equipment into the service to increase resilience. But I'm not! So I won't ;-)

Don't forget that LLU only gets you a connection to a different box in an Exchange. Every wire (copper and fibre) that go into and lead out of every Exchange are owned and maintained by BT, regardless of which company's name is on your invoice.

Gary

Quote from: Simon_idnet on Apr 06, 2011, 09:08:35
If I were to be charitable to BT I would point out that their recent and ongoing engineering works have the stated aim of adding links/equipment into the service to increase resilience. But I'm not! So I won't ;-)

Don't forget that LLU only gets you a connection to a different box in an Exchange. Every wire (copper and fibre) that go into and lead out of every Exchange are owned and maintained by BT, regardless of which company's name is on your invoice.
That's very true Simon, its just frustrating when you see other people on LLU and different services not having the same issues as IDNet have that's all. My point is trying to cut out as much of the BT system as you can, which seems favourable compared to what exists now, but I take your point :) Also in some areas LLU is the only way we are going to get better speeds as well, our exchange still does not have WBC and no sign it will in the foreseeable future let alone FTTC, so after awhile spending the same as others each month to get half the speed seems a kick in the teeth as well.

Torpedoes

Is the DNS up the spout too?? Having to reload YouSendIt pages 3-4 times before loading even before putting up with sub-standard download rates. Stepney is just around the corner though  :whistle:

Gary

Quote from: Torpedoes on Apr 06, 2011, 09:39:11
Is the DNS up the spout too?? Having to reload YouSendIt pages 3-4 times before loading even before putting up with sub-standard download rates. Stepney is just around the corner though  :whistle:
I'm having that problem with loads of sites same as last night, its driving me bonkers. Stepney is about 60 miles away, but how its all linked is beyond me. I'm not using IDNets DNS so its probably not that.

esh

Can anyone confirm if 20CN is affected at all? I'm seeing some very slow links/timeouts that periodically work.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

Glenn

Mine was working fine last night
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

Quote from: esh on Apr 06, 2011, 09:56:44
Can anyone confirm if 20CN is affected at all? I'm seeing some very slow links/timeouts that periodically work.
Yes I'm on 20cn and mines affected

Gary

Quote from: Glenn on Apr 06, 2011, 09:57:32
Mine was working fine last night
A lot of peoples wasn't though Glenn, you are obviously in a privileged geographical location  ;D

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Gary

esh

Thanks for the update. Work has been abandoned here as it currently requires inputting large quantities of data into a web interface and with it being precarious as it is, data is being lost and people are getting frustrated. Someone re-cage those BT gremlins please.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

Gary

Quote from: esh on Apr 06, 2011, 10:25:14
Someone re-cage those BT gremlins please.
Now that's asking for a miracle  ;)

Adrian

Adrian

Rik

QuoteService has been restored as of 17:36 by completing: A software reconfiguration.

We see this regularly quoted as the fix by BT. I can't help wondering why BT need to keep reconfiguring software.
Rik
--------------------

esh

They are reinstalling Windows 95, Rik.

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Apr 06, 2011, 10:40:09
We see this regularly quoted as the fix by BT. I can't help wondering why BT need to keep reconfiguring software.
Well I guess they have either not completed it, of need to reconfigure the reconfiguration because something is up the creek at the moment  :(

Gary

Quote from: esh on Apr 06, 2011, 10:43:09
They are reinstalling Windows 95, Rik.
:rofl: Come on more like Windows ME

Rik

Quote from: Gary on Apr 06, 2011, 10:46:57
Well I guess they have either not completed it, of need to reconfigure the reconfiguration because something is up the creek at the moment  :(

Barking, presumably. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Apr 06, 2011, 10:48:15
Barking, presumably. ;)
Its getting hard to smile this morning Rik, mainly because the links are so slow  ;D