PPPoE PC?

Started by turnpike, Apr 06, 2011, 17:21:34

Previous topic - Next topic

turnpike

Hey all,

I'm moving to IDNET as our street has just had the FTTC treatment.  BT appear to have dug and replaced the trunking as there wasn't space in the existing pipes.

I was wondering if I really need to go with the IDNET supplied router.  I have an acer revo pc running windows 7 which is permanently on, could that do the routing for me?

Cheers,
Carl

Rik

Hi Carl and welcome to the forum. :welc: :karma:

If your router has a WAN in socket, it can be used with the BT supplied modem. I'd be wary of recommending using a PC as hardware firewalls generally do a much better job.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

.Griff.

It's perfectly possible to create a PPPoE connection using the PC and the Huawei modem but routers do have their advantages.

pctech

Stick with a router as it offloads the traffic and saves the leccy and noise too.

turnpike

Thanks all!  Rik I was here about 2 years ago on ADSL and you lent me a modem once, thanks again :-)

Sounds like I might as well just get the new router.

.Griff.

From experience I can tell you that some routers don't perform well with FTTC/VDSL2 and if you really leave the Revo on 24/7 then I'd atleast give PPPoE a try.

The worst that can happen is you decide you need a router anyway and you've not lost anything trying.

turnpike

pctech, my tiny acer revo is always on and it's near silent/low power but agree about offloading trafic.

griff currently id just be getting the idnet supplied router but it's a tad expensive when you add on the activation fee too

Gary

Quote from: turnpike on Apr 07, 2011, 10:08:34
pctech, my tiny acer revo is always on and it's near silent/low power but agree about offloading trafic.

griff currently id just be getting the idnet supplied router but it's a tad expensive when you add on the activation fee too
Routes have advantages and tbh they are simple, they in theory just run, using the revo costs more I bet and has the potential for more issues, I would go with a router, cutting costs does not always pan out in the end.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

pctech

Indeed Gary, when I started out on ADSL I used a USB modem and ran a powerful software firewall, my PC performance improved quite a bit when I offloaded firewall duty to a dedciated device.

turnpike

Thanks.  I've asked for IDNEt to supply the router.