Netgear DGN1000 Red light

Started by David, Apr 07, 2011, 10:27:08

Previous topic - Next topic

David

Im a little perplexed ! my newish router has lately been displaying the red light on the number 3 only I have no idea what this is.I do lose connections or rather the page with the diagnostic message is displayed sometimes I let windows fix it which is does or I just click the back button
My router is wired with one machine and not plugged into the port which is displaying the light
I did not notice the light until after the latest speen episode a few days but to be honest I am not in the same room and no reason for me to check it any ideas.
I have rebotted but the red light (isnt on at the moment) but will be later Im sure   :dunno:
I am wondering if its connected to the seemingly drop in pages  :dunno: I have no idea
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

Rik

Try connecting to the number 3 port, David, and see what happens. My guess is a faulty router atm.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

David

Thanks Rik will try it out ... I have never come across this before and its not that old to be honst
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

pctech

I'd agree with Rik as the only two normal operating colours according to the manual are green or amber (green = 100 Mbps link, Amber = 10 Mbps link)

David

Thanks at the moment all numbers are green so an intermittent fault is going to be a hassle and although only 3 months old (cant be any older) might be easier just to go and get another .Joanne did say the wireless no longer works as her machine upstairs and her Ninendo DSL ,or whatever they are called no longer works .

IfI go for a new one will the wireless adaptors have to be changed.... you know me it isnt worthe the messing around and if this is faulty it,I doubt will get repaired by good old PC world

Enough Netgear then I think

Rik

You shouldn't have to change the wireless adaptors, David.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: David on Apr 07, 2011, 11:24:42
Thanks at the moment all numbers are green so an intermittent fault is going to be a hassle and although only 3 months old (cant be any older) might be easier just to go and get another .Joanne did say the wireless no longer works as her machine upstairs and her Ninendo DSL ,or whatever they are called no longer works .

IfI go for a new one will the wireless adaptors have to be changed.... you know me it isnt worthe the messing around and if this is faulty it,I doubt will get repaired by good old PC world

Enough Netgear then I think
Do a firmware upgrade David, it could be that the firmware is corrupt, that would shouldit out, after updating press reset for about 30 seconds then add your details back as it will be back to factory settings.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

David

Thanks Gary your poast made me google this and apparently its a common issue with this model justploughing through it and will follow your advice ..... this means setting the router up again which I hate doing still .
Im off out for a while so will go for it this evening .... :thumb:

Gary

Quote from: David on Apr 07, 2011, 11:43:07
Thanks Gary your poast made me google this and apparently its a common issue with this model justploughing through it and will follow your advice ..... this means setting the router up again which I hate doing still .
If you back the settings up from the routers menu David you can just restore them, takes a few seconds.

pctech

Quote from: David on Apr 07, 2011, 11:43:07

Router should do the line detection itself so all you should need to do is configure the passphrase for wireless and plug in the Ethernet cables you which are far better than wireless anyway IMO.

Rik

Plus IDNet login details, Mitch.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Apr 07, 2011, 15:47:50
Possibly MTU value if you needed to change it, and change login password from default of course.

pctech

Quote from: Rik on Apr 07, 2011, 15:47:50

Indeed but it asks for those before the line detection unless Netgear firmware has changed significantly.

David could also just try a factory reset as that clears bugs from Netgear firmware I've found.

Gary

Quote from: pctech on Apr 07, 2011, 17:27:00

Indeed but it asks for those before the line detection unless Netgear firmware has changed significantly.

David could also just try a factory reset as that clears bugs from Netgear firmware I've found.

It does the line detection then you put your details in Mitch, well it does on my DGND3300, not that I set it up that way. I think it did on all my Netgears, but I don't trust my memory ;D

David

Well checked the router and its all up to date so will try the factory reset see if that  sorts out the provblem although the red light has stayed off today it (Netgear cannot be found on the other things wireless ,yes I did ensure it was turned on so will give it a factory reset and if that fails its over to Maplins or somewhere tomorrow my desktop is wired and if it were reasonable I would wire all the others as I prefer it but it would be quite a job and I have better things to do with the day  ;D

pctech

Like changing your avatar?
;D

David

shhh it seems to have righted itself ,although have not tried the wireless,you have to agree surely that is a fine picture of the dog ?

Simon

Indeed it is, and what a coincidence, it's also called David!  :)x  ;D ;)
Simon.
--

David

Yes I thought that Simon thats why I shot him   ;D ;D

Simon

Simon.
--