Multicast traffic from 212.69.63.51

Started by dmgeurts, Apr 13, 2011, 13:24:05

Previous topic - Next topic

dmgeurts

Apr 13 11:51:12   WAN      212.69.63.51      224.0.0.13   PIM
Apr 13 11:51:18   WAN      212.69.63.51      224.0.0.1    IGMP

My firewall is blocking this traffic, what is it and why is IDnet trying to send Multicast traffic to me?

I've seen things about BBC's Multicast service and IDnet supporting it. Is there any benefit to enabling Multicast on my side when using BBC iPlayer for example?
- pfSense - Cisco - Ubuntu - MAC -

pctech

Are you viewing any online video content at present?

dmgeurts

Does youtube count? Not BBC's iPlayer afaik.

pctech

I don't think Youtube multicasts but will fire up wireshark when I get home and have a look.

dmgeurts

I use a pfsense firewall and the blocked packets are never ending for pim and igmp... from that IP address.

Glenn

:welc: :karma:

Give support a call, someone there should be able to tell you why you are receiving the multicast traffic.

Is the BBC Multicast trial still active?
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

dmgeurts

Thanks.

However I'm pottering around sorting out my new connectivity etc while on numerous conf calls and other real work stuff. Don't have the time right now to be calling support at the moment, was hoping someone here might know.

Glenn

I'm sure there will be a some people along shortly that may know.
Glenn
--------------------

Steve

:welc: :karma: I think your going to have to direct that question to support.
Steve
------------

Ray

Ray
--------------------

dmgeurts

Well I've just called support and the guy dismissed it as just random traffic that may be floating around... He then continued that it may be responses to my DNS queries. Clearly I was being fobbed off with gumpf.

- Simple client DNS queries do not use multicast at all
- My firewall is not configured for multicast and as such drops all such traffic in or out (running packet capture just to be sure)
- He denied IDnet having anything when I mentioned Google searches turning up references to "a BBC Multicast service"

So it seems the mystery deepens... you may have guessed, I don't like being being told to not worry about it w/o some proper explanation.

dmgeurts

Thank you for all the welcome messages! :) I've moved over from Be* and I love the IRC channel they have there, always great to receive quick answers.

dmgeurts

Packet captures show no out bound Multicast. They did tell me what kind of Multicast packets I receive from IDnet.

The PIM packets are sent every 30 seconds: PIMv2 Hello
The IGMP packets are sent every 60 seconds: V2 Membership Query, general

Steve

Are we any the wiser though? I'm not. ;D
Steve
------------

dmgeurts

Neither am I and I'm not holding my breath waiting for an answer to my email to support either  :-\

Steve

Are we just seeing an IGMP enabled router(IDNet) but no actual multicast service.
Steve
------------

dmgeurts

I'm currently figuring out how to get pfSense to proxy Multicast traffic so I can query the machine :) If I can join I might be able to see what groups it has on offer. IGMPv1 though so not expecting anything.

Steve

Not that I know anything but can you ask to "leave" or does that have to be done by the IDNet router?
Steve
------------

Simon_idnet

That's just Multicast adjacency traffic and can be safely ignored. Applications such as Virgin Radio would use it and the BBC were using Multicast but I think they've stopped now as they're concentrating on iPlayer.

dmgeurts

Simon_idnet,

That's nice to know, thank you. Why though is it still enabled on the CPE side if it's currently not used?
* dmgeurts goes to figure out how to drop these messages from pfsense's logging...

Simon_idnet

There are other uses (e.g. Virgin Radio) and it doesn't hurt anything to leave it there as a service for any customers who want to use it.

dmgeurts

Is there documentation on this and how to make use of it?

Technical Ben

No doubt it's one of those services and systems that needs a huge outlay just to buy the documentation!  :eek4:
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Steve

Steve
------------

pctech

Multicast is used mainly for broadcast traffic that does not require acknowledgement and is designed to reduce network load by allowing the router to replicate the packets so only one upstream connection is made for bandwidth heavy traffic.

Unless you want to broadcast something you would not normally need to think about multicast.