IPv6 Questions

Started by Bill, Apr 14, 2011, 13:22:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

That looks like the one...

I did a search for that when I found the version number- not found.

I've just tried again- still not found :dunno: :dunno:
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Bill

Belay that... the file I've got is UKBillion7800NV6_1.06c.dc1.afw.

Adam- PM me your email and I'll send a copy.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Bill

Downloaded the one from the site, just for the hell of it... it's about 25Kbytes bigger than the beta that supports IPv6 :dunno:
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Bill

I indicated earlier in this thread that I didn't like the look of the latency I'm seeing on my IPv6 BQM, so I've been doing a few more tests, graph attached.

What I did- collected an hour's worth of pings (at 10-second intervals) to various IPv6 websites and graphed them.

Also did the same for one IPv4 site (tbb) for comparison, it's shown as x10 to get it out of the "floors" of the other traces.

It's not a set of results that gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling...

I know nothing about how IPv6 is routed, so it could be something to do with IDNet or just a general effect of shunting IPv6 packets around a network that isn't really ready for them...

I'd appeciate comments from anyone knowledgable, especially SimonD :P
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Steve

Any tips to getting the BQM working on IPv6? i'm using the routers wan IP address and ping is enabled 100% packet loss at the moment.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Bill

If you're using the right address I can't see why it shouldn't work... but if you use the address that it suggests when you create the BQM then it won't- that's the IP address of the computer.

That's what I did first and got solid red, but when I copy/pasted the IP address from the router opening status page it worked straight away.

If it won't work, if you want to PM me your router's v6 address and I'll see if I can ping it from here.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Steve

I spotted the first error but it's still no go with IPv6 BQM for me

It does appear to respond to ping though

IPv6 Ping Output:
PING 2a02:0390:feed:6598:c993:2cc7:xxx:xxxx:32 data bytes
40 bytes from 2a02:390:feed:6598:c993:2cc7:xxx:xxxx: icmp_seq=0 ttl=57 time=30.9 ms
40 bytes from 2a02:390:feed:6598:c993:2cc7:xxx:xxxx: icmp_seq=1 ttl=57 time=30.1 ms
40 bytes from 2a02:390:feed:6598:c993:2cc7:xxx:xxxx:icmp_seq=2 ttl=57 time=32.5 ms
40 bytes from 2a02:390:feed:6598:c993:2cc7:xxx:xxxx: icmp_seq=3 ttl=57 time=32.9 ms

http://www.subnetonline.com/pages/ipv6-network-tools/online-ipv6-ping.php

I'll take up the offer Bill
Steve
------------

Bill

That's a useful website, bookmarked :thumb:

It works for me both on my IP and on the address you gave me, but I can't ping you directly on that IP... I just get a request timeout :(

And traceroute comes up "nodename nor servname provided, or not known".

There's something weird going on, but I've no idea what it is :dunno:
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Steve

Thanks Bill,Neither have I  ;D The reverse traceroute finds it on TBB tools though. :dunno:
Steve
------------

Bill

Forget what I said about traceroute- finger trouble at this end :blush:

But it still doesn't work- times out on hop 3.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Bill

I've just had a thought... when I first tried IPv6 through a tunnel, I set up a BQM which wouldn't work- that turned out to be a bug in the pingbox code.

More to the point, Seb couldn't ping me either, just as I can't ping you. After day or so, he could ping me. Maybe IPv6 addresses take time to propagate or something, if that's the case your BQM may start working at some point for no obvious reason :dunno:

Just leave it for a few days to see what happens. :fingers:
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Steve

I was thinking similar Bill,however another surprise I've just rebooted the router and I've been allocated a different IPv6 address according to the router status page :dunno:
Steve
------------

Bill

That's not good news :bawl:

I knew they weren't static IPs, but I'd hoped they'd be pretty sticky.

I think we need SimonD in on this (and maybe an IPv6 forum? :P)
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Technical Ben

You can get entire blocks of IP6 for yourself now though. :)
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

pctech

Quote from: Steve on Apr 16, 2011, 23:29:19
I was thinking similar Bill,however another surprise I've just rebooted the router and I've been allocated a different IPv6 address according to the router status page :dunno:

Maybe they are randomly allocated by RADIUS at the minute but will eventually be static but of course that depends on SimonD's configuration.

Does sound like the routing info hadn't propagated Bill.

mchunt_idnet

We allocate users a /64 block that can be used by your router and then a /48 block that your router can dish out to your end devices.

IPv6 Prefix: 2A02:390:FEED:####::/64
IPv6 Delegated: 2A02:390:####::/48

#### (hex value we uniquely allocate to each user)

The initial part of your routers ip6 address will always start with your ipv6 prefix, the end part is autoconfigured by your router [unless you have statically configured your router].

Some routers and devices will use the mac address in order to create the last bit but to some people this is a privacy risk and hence the device may choose a random value.  If you configure a Mac to use ipv6 via a modem it will use the Mac's mac address unless you tweak some low end system parameters, Windows 7 however will use a 'random' value by default.

It is recommended by a lot of people that firewalls, spam filters work at the /64 level due to the way addresses are generally allocated and also as working at individual ipv6 address level would be almost impossible due to the number of addresses concerned.

pctech

Very interesting Martin, thanks for the explanation.

I have to say I'm still just trying to get my head around IPv6.

Bill

Thanks Martin, I think I understood that :P

Does that mean that, for those of us who prefer static IPs, we can take the IPs dished out the first time we connect and use them to fix the IP of the device they are allocated to (both router and computers)?

And could you give any reason why the BQM graphs (see earlier post and sig) give such diabolical results for ping times?

ie this post: http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,25449.msg605953.html#msg605953
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Steve

Thanks Martin, I half understand at the most. ;) I have tried to set a static router IPv6 address up , I may have succeeded however the netmask comes out as /128 it was 64 previously when the IPv6 address was obtained automatically. Have I done something wrong?

http://linux-sxs.org/networking/ipv6_for_beginners.html
Steve
------------

mchunt_idnet

You have done nothing wrong, a /128 is a single ipv6 address which is what you need for the network interface.

Quote from: Steve on Apr 17, 2011, 11:53:27
Thanks Martin, I half understand at the most. ;) I have tried to set a static router IPv6 address up , I may have succeeded however the netmask comes out as /128 it was 64 previously when the IPv6 address was obtained automatically. Have I done something wrong?

http://linux-sxs.org/networking/ipv6_for_beginners.html

Steve

Thanks Martin it was the change in the router reported netmask  that puzzled me from /64 to /128 going from 'automatic' to 'fixed' on the wan IP request.
Steve
------------

mchunt_idnet

You can set them manually if you wish to whatever you like within the blocks allocated to you - using the first values you get may be a safer option than picking anything random. Whilst we will try to ensure you keep your current allocations it may be necessary to change something at some point - it is all a little new to everyone and testing is ongoing.

Simon [on holiday supposedly!] deals with the main routing/peering etc - personally my guess would be that either the packets are taking a different route than the ipv4 packets (a router in the best route between us and them may not be ipv6 enabled and hence a more congested or longer route is taken) or the test stack is not working as well with ipv6.

IPv6 Allocation details will appear in the customer portal at some point.

Quote from: Bill on Apr 17, 2011, 10:32:39
Thanks Martin, I think I understood that :P

Does that mean that, for those of us who prefer static IPs, we can take the IPs dished out the first time we connect and use them to fix the IP of the device they are allocated to (both router and computers)?

And could you give any reason why the BQM graphs (see earlier post and sig) give such diabolical results for ping times?

ie this post: http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,25449.msg605953.html#msg605953

Bill

Thanks Martin, that gives me a bit of confidence to have a play.

Quote from: mchunt_idnet on Apr 17, 2011, 18:49:14
Simon [on holiday supposedly!]

I didn't think there was any evidence that Simon even slept, let alone went on holiday :P
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Technical Ben

So with 2128 addresses, or roughly 3.4×1038 addresses. But with an IPv6 address looking like this "2001:0db8:85a3:0000:0000:8a2e:0370:7334". It's a billion times more confusing to me. :(
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Gary

I dont really care as long as it works my router gets the upgrade which it should. More important things going on for myself right now outside my window and away from computers, like the garden, sunshine generally being outside, etc. ;D
Damned, if you do damned if you don't