Problem loading pages

Started by net91, Apr 15, 2011, 21:48:22

Previous topic - Next topic

net91

I posted a few weeks ago about an issue where I am sporadically briefly unable to load various websites, as if there was a DNS issue. This has continued, however not very frequently since then. However, today, while I had a laptop sitting right next to my desktop I noticed I could still load Google on the laptop, while I was unable to load it on my desktop machine (in either Firefox or Safari).

I've only noticed the problem on the desktop machine, as this is my computer and the laptop is another family member's - I had just assumed the issue would affect every machine on connecting through the same router. For other reasons, I've formatted the hard drive on my desktop machine and reinstalled the OS since this issue has been occurring and it hasn't resolved it.

My desktop machine is an iMac running OS X 10.6.7, and the laptop is running Windows Vista SP2. They both use Firefox 4 has the primary browsers. The desktop connects to the router via Ethernet, and the laptop wirelessly.

I'm not sure what could be causing the issue just on my computer, especially has there has been a clean install of the OS that hasn't resolved it?  ???

Any advice appreciated.  :)
Dan
Dan

.Griff.

Not sure if it's related to your problem but I've just spent 10 minutes trying to access Google and I couldn't load Idnetters at all over a 15 minute period -

C:\Users\Griff>ping www.idnetters.co.uk

Pinging www.idnetters.co.uk [212.69.36.118] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 212.69.36.118:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

net91

I just had the problem loading this forum and Google, ran into the other room to see if the issue was affecting another machine, and it was.

Going to try changing to different DNS servers.
Dan

net91

Quote from: .Griff. on Apr 15, 2011, 21:54:00
Not sure if it's related to your problem but I've just spent 10 minutes trying to access Google and I couldn't load Idnetters at all over a 15 minute period -

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Yeah, same problem as me. IDNET DNS server issue?
Dan

.Griff.

Simon

Seems fine here.  Temporary server gremlin?
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

.Griff.

Quote from: Simon on Apr 15, 2011, 21:56:23
Seems fine here.  Temporary server gremlin?

Maybe but I couldn't access Google at all during the same period. Routing issue maybe?!?

net91

In addition to this it's been an ongoing issue for me, so I've swapped over to Google dns servers.

I've changed the settings on my router, do I need to restart the router for the changes to take effect? As far as I know it's just a browser restart that's needed, and I'd like to avoid interupting access for others if possible.
Dan

Glenn

What happens if the laptop is connected via a cable to the router?
Glenn
--------------------

kinmel

Same problem using opendns through AAISP, so it was not just IdNet
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Steve

I'm glad someone else is having problems as I thought it was me as I've been messing with IPv6, with regard DNS I change them on the local machine's NIC then I don't have to reboot the router.
Steve
------------

.Griff.

Idnetters just went down again for me. Google and Youtube not loading properly either  ???

ou7shined

I'm getting this too.
Tried 4 times to load this site until it eventually opened - google opens first time though.
Rich.

Klaatu barada nikto!

Crus

Variations on this are happening frequently:
Tracing route to www.idnet.net [212.69.36.10]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  router [10.6.7.10]
  2    31 ms    48 ms    30 ms  telehouse-gw4-lo2.idnet.net [212.69.63.99]
  3    29 ms    31 ms    29 ms  telehouse-gw5-e4-400.idnet.net [212.69.63.245]
  4    30 ms    30 ms    30 ms  telehouse-gw3-g0-1-400.idnet.net [212.69.63.243]

5     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  6     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  7     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  8     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  9     *        *        *     Request timed out.
10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
21     *       31 ms    32 ms  www.idnet.net [212.69.36.10]

Trace complete.

David

Here too my connecton keeps dropping and windows diagnostics kicks in !
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

ou7shined

I take back what I said about google. All pages are equally as erratic and it appears to be worsening - took about 7 or 8 attempt to get back here again. :(
Rich.

Klaatu barada nikto!

armadillo

I've been getting this problem too on many sites in the past half hour. It seems to me to be identical behaviour to the Cogent routing problem a few days ago. It is definitely not a DNS issue - the address is resolved but the browser hangs "waiting for [url]". It is a routing issue.

psp83

I noticed the same tonight, went to check my email and outlook through an error message, so loaded a few sites and they wouldn't load.

Simon

I've let IDNet know, with a link to this thread.  Why does this always happen at the bloody weekends?  :(
Simon.
--

armadillo

Quote from: Simon on Apr 15, 2011, 22:42:46
I've let IDNet know, with a link to this thread.  Why does this always happen at the bloody weekends?  :(

My physics teacher (schooldays a long long time ago) used to blame "The law of Universal Cussedness"

armadillo

Quote from: net91 on Apr 15, 2011, 22:12:08
In addition to this it's been an ongoing issue for me, so I've swapped over to Google dns servers.

I've changed the settings on my router, do I need to restart the router for the changes to take effect? As far as I know it's just a browser restart that's needed, and I'd like to avoid interupting access for others if possible.

Forget DNS. This is definitely not a DNS issue. I believe there is a routing problem and this may lie outside the IDNet network.

If you do change DNS, do it in the OS, not on the router as doing it on the router forces a resync (according to Rik) which will just make things worse for you.

.Griff.

No doubt BT will finally reply 4 months later and "assure" Idnet it will not happen again. Like all the other times  :mad:

Seadog

Evening All, So not just me moaning about download speeds, I was wondering why it was taking ages to load certain pages while I was getting good d/l speeds tonight.

I've just posted on TBB and at the same time pinging 212.69.36.3 and at the same time 4.2.2.1.

I lost 36.3 for about 2 or 3 minutes, here we go it's happening right now again as I'm typing this,
guys, seriously this is not good !!!! :slap:

Back again, I'm going to change my Router settings, at least I can surf the web !!!! :sigh:

zappaDPJ

I can confirm there's a problem but it's odd and I've no idea what it is. As an example I can connect to BBC iPlayer and watch content (after a considerable period of buffering) but none of the images associated with the website will load. For what it's worth I'm using Google's DNS.
zap
--------------------

Seadog

I has something similar earlier Zappa, ummm. Ok well my Router seems to be working nicely with the new DNS, well see how long it lasts. Anyway time to check my d/l speed again before the midnight downloader congestion kicks in !!! :bawl:

Seadog

Correction from my last post, after changing my DNS to 4.2.2.1 it lost the connection to this page and google timed out. So more likely to be one of the Links  :dunno:

Dunno

Bill

Quote from: Seadog on Apr 15, 2011, 23:44:57So more likely to be one of the Links  :dunno:

When in doubt, blame BT.

You'll be right more often than you'll be wrong. :mad:
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

.Griff.

C:\Users\Griff>ping www.google.com

Pinging www.l.google.com [209.85.146.99] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 209.85.146.99:

C:\Users\Griff>ping www.youtube.com

Pinging youtube-ui.l.google.com [74.125.230.142] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 74.125.230.142:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Seadog

Hi Griff,

Yep, all confirmed everyone is having problems. One thing for sure I will be downgrading from this Business Premiere Package to the Home Super Package next week, I'm not going to throw away good money as I don't download massive amounts and QOS will be similar.  :thumb:

ou7shined

Quote from: Seadog on Apr 16, 2011, 00:14:16
Hi Griff,

Yep, all confirmed everyone is having problems. One thing for sure I will be downgrading from this Business Premiere Package to the Home Super Package next week, I'm not going to throw away good money as I don't download massive amounts and QOS will be similar.  :thumb:
My long time with IDNet is drawing to an end. Currently looking at alternatives. The price we are paying here just does not reflect the level of service anymore. :(
Rich.

Klaatu barada nikto!

Gary

This is just getting sad tbh.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Conrad

Have been having a few "connection has timed out" errors recently too.  Ou7shined I agree with you. What a pain though.  :bawl:

Seadog

That's a shame, I came to IDNet with high hopes myself this week and it has been dissappointing, I just hope the service improves during the year for sure. It's still early days with this FTTC technology so I just hope they can upgrade the network infrastructure or we will all be surfing at a craw next year  :bawl:

Bill

Quote from: Seadog on Apr 16, 2011, 00:40:22or we will all be surfing at a craw next year  :bawl:

And then there's the Olympics... :eek4:
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Seadog

Forgot about that  :o maybe it's time for IDNet to team up with Be, they have a good Network just no FTTC yet  :thumb:

Conrad

Just happened again.  Everything just times out for a few minutes and starts working again.

Each time this happens, my router tells me it cannot connect to DNS Server 2: 212.69.36.3

I hope it gets fixed (again).

Is anyone even looking into the probem?

Night night all.

.Griff.

Quote from: Seadog on Apr 16, 2011, 00:50:52
Forgot about that  :o maybe it's time for IDNet to team up with Be, they have a good Network just no FTTC yet  :thumb:

Already been discussed Simon after previous "incidents" but it was dismissed.

I think I'm correct, although ready to be corrected, that there's been four BT related problems in the last eight months. Each time BT apologise to Idnet and "promise" it won't happen again.

Aaron

Happening here as well, been switching between IDNet/Google DNS quickly via a DNS Changer for Windows tool and restarting browser but makes no difference.

Just moments ago:
C:\Users\Aaron>nslookup idnetters.co.uk
Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address:  8.8.8.8

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to google-public-dns-a.google.com timed-out
IDNet Home Pro ADSL2+ 4Mbps | Billion BiPAC 7800N

karvala

And meanwhile, four hours after the problems start, the IDNet status page still has everything listed as having no problems.  Nice to know the band are still playing on the Titanic....

Bill

Quote from: .Griff. on Apr 16, 2011, 01:08:58
Already been discussed Simon after previous "incidents" but it was dismissed.

Yeah:

http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,25096.msg595674.html#msg595674

I'm the last person to tell anyone else how their business should be run, but this isn't good enough :(
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

zappaDPJ

I've been trying to leave a message here for the last 2 hours but the forum keeps timing out on me.
zap
--------------------

Bill

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Apr 16, 2011, 01:32:33
I've been trying to leave a message here for the last 2 hours but the forum keeps timing out on me.

You need to compose the message elsewhere and be quick with the copy/paste when it decides to work :P
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

zappaDPJ

The back button works fine, retaining your post until you navigate away to another site :slap: The real trick is to do it three times on the trot :D
zap
--------------------

Simon_idnet

I can't see any problems on the BT network but we've been getting a lot of routing updates from AMS-IX in Amsterdam which has been forcing multiple BGP table updates which takes our core routers extra time to process. So we've shut our peering to AMS-IX in the meantime.

Technical Ben

Seems the entire internet is being re-wired/listed. Is this in preparation for  IP6? Could we see more problems from this?
Not had any trouble here. Except the forum going down. But that could be maintenance etc.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Ardua

And I think that it has just happened again. Web pages very slow to load for about 3 minutes. IDNet Support at work perhaps?

David

Im having problems here ,not a moan just to try and assist 
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

Bill

Status page still a nice pretty green... when you can get it to load :(
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

David

I cant figure out ...it clearly shows red and apologies.....................well how can I read it if Im not online ? thats daft  :dunno:

Simon

Guys, if you're still having problems, suggest you email IDNet. 
Simon.
--

Steve

I feel slightly reticent about making too many comments as I've been messing with IPv6 which has caused it's own issues but to me something is still not right.
Steve
------------

Simon

I've let IDNet know that some problems seem to be persisting.   
Simon.
--

Steve

Cheers Simon . I've no issues getting to sites outside the UK but netters  and google is very intermittent for me.
Steve
------------

sobranie

Q. How do you know it's the weekend?

A. Internet is up the creek.

Well, it's up the creek here in SW Cornwall (01326).

David

Quote from: Simon on Apr 16, 2011, 10:16:42
I've let IDNet know that some problems seem to be persisting.   

Thanks Simon doubt it will help me as it appears to be the exchange

Bill

Mine seems to be OK now... but I think I'll keep my :fingers: for a while yet.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Bill

Spoke too soon- this forum, status page, email and RSS all timed out for a few minutes :(
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Simon

It's very intermittent, isn't it?  Seems fine one minute, grinds to a halt the next.  Email problems too now.  :(
Simon.
--

psp83

This a becoming really annoying now, trying to do some work & can't get to the site I'm working on :(

.Griff.

Came on this afternoon hoping for an explanation and resolution.

Unfortunately I'm still having problems accessing multiple sites. They're fine one minute and down the next.

kerrminator

my bb just disconnected for a couple of minutes a short while ago too. I think their must be a few probs at one of the servers. (mines is edinburgh if iirc )

.Griff.

Quote from: kerrminator on Apr 16, 2011, 14:44:46
my bb just disconnected for a couple of minutes a short while ago too. I think their must be a few probs at one of the servers. (mines is edinburgh if iirc )

If your connection "disconnected", i.e lost sync, then that's a completely separate issue.

Simon

Simon.
--

Steve

Quote from: kerrminator on Apr 16, 2011, 14:44:46
:welc: :karma:
Steve
------------

David

Auspicious start  :karmic: but welcome to the asylum  ;D

Tim_idnet

Hi All,

One of our core network routers is misbehaving itself. We have an engineer on-site working on fixing the issue ASAP. Apologies for any inconvenience.

Tim

.Griff.

Thanks for the update Tim!

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

David

Simon

Cheers, Tim.   Is this causing the email issue too?
Simon.
--

cavillas

Quote from: Tim_idnet on Apr 16, 2011, 16:16:09
Hi All,

One of our core network routers is misbehaving itself. We have an engineer on-site working on fixing the issue ASAP. Apologies for any inconvenience.

Tim

American or Chinese router?  ;D  Bic Mac or Chicken Chow Mein sometimes solves the problems. ;D
------
Alf :)

net91

Things seem better here now.  :)

I was originally posting about an ongoing issue, that wasn't causing anywhere near as much problems as what happened last night, so I'm gonna keep trying out Google DNS for a while.
Dan

net91

I spoke too soon, still having some intermittent issues with various sites. (Now using Google DNS)
Dan

David

Dan ! Dan ? now where has he gone ?

Bill

Quote from: David on Apr 16, 2011, 18:23:43

Looking at what arrived as my email notification compared to his post, I think he did a quick edit and scarpered ;D
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Ted

Quote from: David on Apr 16, 2011, 18:23:43

you sound a bit desperate, David.  ;)
Ted
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

David

No Bill thats gone right over my head although as Im only 3 ft 6" this is not difficult  ;D

David

Quote from: Ted on Apr 16, 2011, 18:44:35
you sound a bit desperate, David.  ;)

:hehe: :rofl: Love it , DO you remember Boys From The Black Stuff ? this was Yosser Hughes line  :thumb:

Perhaps he is off on a Beano ?

Ted

Quote from: David on Apr 16, 2011, 18:45:54
:hehe: :rofl: Love it , DO you remember Boys From The Black Stuff ? this was Yosser Hughes line  :thumb:

Sadly... I do!
Ted
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

David

Full of laughs that series wasnt it  ;D

Tim_idnet

Hi All,

Quick update to let you know that we tracked down the issue - it was a DoS-triggered Cisco bug in the software of one of our core routers that has now been fixed. Apologies again for the inconvenience and hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Tim

Steve

Thanks for the update Tim.
Steve
------------

Lance

Lance
_____

Simon

Simon.
--

Ardua

Pleased to see that things are now back to normal. That said, I can recall that on a number of occasions over the past few months web pages (BBC, Google, IDNetters etc) and e-mail have been slow to load - if they have loaded at all. Do we now have a permanent fix for this problem or is this something that is likely to happen again? ???

net91

Quote from: Bill on Apr 16, 2011, 18:42:43
Looking at what arrived as my email notification compared to his post, I think he did a quick edit and scarpered ;D

Quick change of content.  :D
Dan

net91

I've still got an ongoing issue where every so often a website fail to load for a few minutes, bringing up a 'Page cannot be found' screen, then start working again. When this happens the website 'Down For Everyone Or Just Me' reports the site is still working. I'm trying out OpenDNS to see if that resolves the problem.

My router is set to obtain its DNS server addresses automatically from the ISP, but I've set my computer to use OpenDNS. I'm assuming this means that the DNS settings on my computer will override the router's DNS settings for this machine?

Thanks,
Dan  :)
Dan

Lance

Yep, computer set DNS overrides router dns. Which router do you have?
Lance
_____

net91

Thanks, I wasn't sure. I've got the Netgear DGN1000.
Dan