IP Profile low after exchange fault.

Started by TheDuke, Apr 20, 2011, 11:19:18

Previous topic - Next topic

TheDuke

Hi All

Yesterday evening there was what seemed to be a problem with my local telephone exchange (Rochford).  BT listed the town on 08001690199 and on their website but listed an incorrect area code for the exchange  :eyebrow:

The problem started at around 5pm and the symptom was a complete loss of DSL sync, tried the usual tests, using the test socket behind the master plate with no luck, still no DSL sync.  BT seemed to fix the problem around 11pm-12am, it was late and I didn't run any tests.

This morning I've noticed the internet is unusually slow, checked with speedtester.bt.com and my IP Profile is 500k.  I'm on an ADSL2 MAX service and believe my IP Profile is usually 6000k.  Called ID Net support and before taking all the info they said that it would take between 4 and 72 hours before BT's system would change the IP profile.

My problem is that I am working from home for a couple of months and use a VoIP phone, the 500k profile is causing me big issues with the phone.

TL;DR

Had a fault at the exchange.
Router currently syncing at: 7648kbps (STABLE)
BT IP Profile is: 500k

Anything ID Net or myself can do to reset this IP Profile?

esh

No. Only BT can do it I'm afraid. You're at their mercy... as usual.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

Steve

There is a big difference between profile and downstream sync so if it remains in sync the initial rise in profile should occur over a matter of hours and then the rate of change will decrease as the profile nears the sync. The key is to maintain a continuous connection.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

TheDuke

Thanks for your replies.

I turned off my router for around 25mins at 9:20am as part of ID Nets diagnostics.  When my router came back on, the Sync rate had gone up even higher.

I'll run BT's speed test once an hour and keep an eye on things.  But counting that reboot as the start point, hopefully I'll see an improvement around 2pm.

Will let you know.

Ben

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Steve

:welc: :karma: Sorry Ben missed out the welcome earlier.
Steve
------------

zappaDPJ

zap
--------------------

Ray

Ray
--------------------

TheDuke

Thanks for the karma folks!

Well DSL up-time is now 8 hours, but my ip profiles is still 500k  :'(

BT have been a pain lately they have missed 2 dates they set themselves for the ADSL2+ upgrade at my exchange and haven't stated a 3rd, I only pray they keep their September date for FTTC.

Steve

If you've had no resyncs and if it's still the same tomorrow I would give support a call as the long weekend is nearly upon us,in theory it should have changed already.
Steve
------------

TheDuke

TheDuke

Just an update.

After speaking to support this morning, Sam very kindly put me through to a manager without me asking :) ID Net are going to request with a re-train with BT, hopefully I should see some improvement early this afternoon. Will keep updating here.

Ben

Ray

Ray
--------------------

TheDuke

Well went out to London this afternoon and got stuck there thanks to the trains at liverpool st.

Finally get back to find my IP Profile still at 500k.  I guess it's not worth leaving a message on the support answer phone as nothing will happen with BT over this long weekend.

Will keep you posted.

TheDuke

Well to my surprise I just ran another test and my IP Profile is now 5500k so looks like it's on its way back to normal.

Thanks IDNet and the community here for your help.

Ben

Steve

Steve
------------

Simon

Thanks for letting us know, Ben.  :thumb:
Simon.
--