Broadband availablity checkers... inconsistent?

Started by TheDuke, Apr 21, 2011, 11:47:48

Previous topic - Next topic

TheDuke

Hey

Does anyone have any recommended availability checkers?  I've been mainly using samknows.com to check on dates for FTTC and WBC at my exchange but the dates that samknows have been posting don't always show up on IDNet's checker.
For example, samknows has had 2 dates for WBC both of which didn't show up on IDNet's checker and BT didn't follow through with the installation both times.
Now samknows has a date for FTTC to be enabled in my area being 01/09/11, IDNet doesn't list this but they do list a date for Fibre broadband being 31/03/2012 which samknows doesn't.

Anyone know of a better way to keep track of this, and even if there is a published list of exchanges and dates that BT provide?

Ben.

TheDuke

Going straight to the source of the information seems like a good idea, but the information they provide again conflicts, I guess this is because of a problem with their wording though.

QuoteYour cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 31st March 2012. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 25.4Mbps and upstream line speed of 5.8Mbps.

Thanks for the link.

pctech

From what I am able to gather, being able to support does not necessarily mean that ISP x will be able to provide it to you.

Glenn

One problem with the exchange checker, it does not mean it will be available at a particular cabinet, its only a guide.
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

TheDuke

Not even sure where my cabinet is, theres none on my road and I'm fairly sure theres not one in my estate either.  Unless BT manholes count as well.

Glenn

My cabinet is around 500m away from my home, so you may need to look further afield.
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.