Connection problems

Started by Kitty, Apr 24, 2011, 11:04:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitty

Hi,

I've had problems with fluctuations in my connection and people on this forum have been very helpful in the past but I get a bit bogged down by trying to work out what the problem is, even with your help, and I give up! When the connection is running more smoothly, it is easy to let it go but it is happening a lot again and you recommended a new router before, I think.

We run one desktop and one laptop in a different room away from the router-these we have a problem with. When I use my other laptop in the same room as the router-all is fine.

I am on the Homelite package and the router is from Idnet and is a Netgear-about 5-6 years old.

If it is necessary to upgrade the router, which would you recommend?

I would be grateful for your suggestions as to what the problem could be-in as simple terms as poss please!

Simon

A simple first step might be to reposition the router, even by just a few inches, as it sounds like the wireless signal is  the problem.  Someone will be along soon with some more specific diagnostics.  :)
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Steve

As Simon says your either struggling with wireless range or you've got interference from neighbouring wifi networks .

For interference, inSSIDer is a Windows program which tracks  available wifi networks . It will also monitor the signal strength

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/?utm_campaign=Software&utm_medium=Inssider.1.2&utm_source=CheckUpdateForm

The separate non overlapping channels are 1,6,11 so pick a different channel if your on the same as a neighbour.

Other options are upgrade to N wireless you should get better coverage for 'g' devices but there is additional expense to upgrade the computers for the full benefit or try some 85mbps 'Homeplugs'  for mains networking.
Steve
------------

Lance

It could be as simple as rotating the router, as some routers give a better signal in certain directions.
Lance
_____

Kitty

Thanks-will have a look at that link tomorrow and also try giving the router a swivel.