BBC website problems

Started by tehidyman, Apr 30, 2011, 11:39:54

Previous topic - Next topic

tehidyman

This morning the BBC web site  had sections missing which could not be customized into the home page. Later it came back as normal and now 11.30am it has gone completely. As a cross check my netbook had all the components but with no customization and customizing it did not work but is still available when the desktop isn't.  Strange. ???

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

tehidyman

Desktop now responding as set up, but netbook still will not customize.  It has done in the past.

Rik

Have you blocked cookies from the site?
Rik
--------------------

tehidyman

Quote from: Rik on Apr 30, 2011, 12:12:31
Have you blocked cookies from the site?
No.  it behaves or rather misbehaves still and  in IE as well.  Netbook now connected to router by cable but no change.

Rik

What software differences are there between the machines, eg AV, OS etc?
Rik
--------------------

tehidyman

Quote from: Rik on Apr 30, 2011, 12:52:49
What software differences are there between the machines, eg AV, OS etc?
Desktop is Windows XP SP3 updated, Netbook is same.
Both have Microsoft Security Essentials and Malawarebytes.
Both have Firefox 4.0 as main browser with Internet Explorer as a rarely used but updated alternative. Firefox is set up the same on both.
The Netbook toolbar is a copy of the desktop.
I use CookieCuller to clear unwanted cookies from both, also have CCleaner and Auslogics defrag on both.
The BBC home page is my Home page on both.  Firefox starts up with a blank page on both.
I have Revo Uninstaller on both to clear junk files.
Foxit Reader is on the desktop but not the netbook.  The Thinkbroadband quality monitor runs on the desktop but not Netbook
Think this covers most of it.
The netbook is used as a holiday means of information source and recording so I try to keep it exactly as the desktop to avoid stressing myself !

tehidyman

Having spent a few hours checking the settings of the desktop v Netbook and finding nothing :stars: I tried changing the customisation of the desktop and ---guess what ---- it too does not save any changes  :hairpull: although my original customisation is still present.  So maybe the problem is with the BBC. but no information posted by them on the website blog.  I will try again after the bank holiday  :comp:

pctech

customisation could have been disabled to cope with traffic?

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Den

Yesterday the BBC site went down while the wedding was going on, I assume because of demand. Today it went down in the afternoon but it is up and running normal now.  :eyebrow:
Mr Music Man.

Gary

Customisations are not sticking though, it keeps reverting back, but at least it keeps your home town.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Simon

That sounds like a cookie problem.  Have you tried deleting the cookie, and re-allowing it, Gary?
Simon.
--

tehidyman

Quote from: Simon on May 01, 2011, 12:47:21
That sounds like a cookie problem.  Have you tried deleting the cookie, and re-allowing it,
I have deleted all BBC cookies and then recustomised the site, some new cookies are created but the customisation however is not saved . The hploc cookie is saved but the BBC-LAYOUT cookie is not.

pctech

I'll give it a go when I get home as cant get a true picture from work as I'm behind a proxy server.

Gary

Quote from: Simon on May 01, 2011, 12:47:21
That sounds like a cookie problem.  Have you tried deleting the cookie, and re-allowing it, Gary?
Yep done all that, its at the bbc's end, its happening on all machines, the site has done it before  ::) the bbc is not as has been said giving you the layout cookie.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't