Connection problem with new setup

Started by andyman2, May 09, 2011, 14:40:34

Previous topic - Next topic

andyman2

I have been with idnet for over a year now and have been very pleased with the service, so have recommended them to my mother in law who has just moved house.

All sorts of problems trying to get her old number to follow her, it took BT over 3 weeks to get this sorted, no idea why, but after daily calls they eventually suceeded. So now to the broadband issue. She phoned friday to be told the service was enabled, so I went down on saturday to configure the router.

Using a DrayTek Vigor 2800, not mine but her son's and a known good router (as far as anything is known and good). I'm not that familiar with this device, but it has a wizard to configure it

Set ISP name and user name to <tele_number>@idnet.gw6, then password.
Configured with VPI/VCI 0/38, PPP0A and Multimode.

Then tried to connect. The WAN status never moves off a status of "Disconnected"

Checking in more detail on the Online Status link, at the bottom the ADSL status is all green, it shows:

"Mode" of G.DMT, and the state goes "TRAINING" thru SHOWTIME". There a figures for UP/DOWN/SNR and Loop Att.

ATM stats show packets transmitted but none received.

The WAN Status  remains RED, there is a box with a Message, and this message goes to "Starting PPP" where it remains trying for some minutes, and then into "PPP Shutdown"

The cycle repeats.

As this was a saturday I couldn't get any support :(

Called idnet this morning and was told that the line is enabled, further more the user and password are correct and that no broadband login attempts from this user were seen by their systems over the weekend.

He suggested I try with another router, not an unreasonable suggestion, but I am 70 miles away and will have to take a day off to get there during working hours. Anyone any ideas? Seems to me that the router is doing its best to establish a connection. I am deeply suspicious of BT after the problems we have experienced so far and would be grateful if anyone can help in any way.

Glenn

Is the phone number support have listed and the actual number the same?
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Lance

Did support say if they could see any attempts to log in?
Lance
_____

Steve

Just wondering whether the username or password is not understood by the router ie incompatible characters
Steve
------------

DorsetBoy

Quote from: Steve on May 09, 2011, 15:09:16
Just wondering whether the username or password is not understood by the router ie incompatible characters

Are they using phone numbers as a Username now, it was not so previously ?

If needed the Draytek 2800 user manual is available for download at >>  ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2800/Manual/

Lance

They are, DB, and have been for quite some time. :)
Lance
_____

lozcart

Have they also altered the last part of the username mine is @uk.idnet.dsl4, should andyman2 be using @uk.idnet.gw6 ?

Lance

Nope. uk.idnet.dsl4 is just as valid as idnet.gw5 and idnet.gw6. I think its a bit of a hangover from when there used to be several BT centrals (since replaced by hostlinks). As far as I know, most new connections now go to gw6.
Lance
_____

andyman2

Thanks everyone, Support told me they could see no evidence of any attempts to log in. I entered the user name more than once so I doubt a typo but it could be the router doesn't like the combination I guess.

pctech

Thing to remember is that if the realm (bit after @) is not correct the request is not forwarded by BT to an ISP's radius server so (unless ISPs are now told based on number) IDNet will not see any authentication attempts against their server.

Rik

You can get support 'out of hours' for a 'no connection' issue, andy, so you could deal with this at a weekend. Personally, I'd suggest taking your own router up there to try, you know that is working and OK with IDNet. Is the new connection ADSL or ADSL2+?
Rik
--------------------

fortyniner

Hi Andy,

Just picked up on the router model - I have the same one and all over the week-end (and this afternoon) have had a similar problem - connect for a while and then drops the line to cycle through the PPP login again for several minutes before it finally connects.

Wonder if BT or someone doesn't like Vigor routers anymore ;)

Rik

That's certainly possible with an ADSL2+ connection.
Rik
--------------------

MisterW

QuoteWonder if BT or someone doesn't like Vigor routers anymore Wink
I've got a 2820 at a remote site working on fine on BT ADLS2+.

andyman2

I believe this is a standard ADSL line. The connection speed was 4,512K.

One thing I have just remembered is that there were 2 fields for login

ISP Name and
User Name

The user name is  <telphone No.>@idnet.gw6

what do those of you who have these routers put in the ISP name?

I started with the same  as the user name, but noted when you tried to edit the field (rather than enter it during wizard setup) it wouldn't allow the full name, in fact it may have refused to allow the @ symbol, so I ended up with just the telephone number? Reading some of the posts I'm just wondering if this might be relevent?

Thanks for all the comments so far.

Lance

I doubt it's significant or has any bearing on the connection.
Lance
_____

DorsetBoy

You can ignore the "ISP name" section altogether it is just Username and password that is used.

The Quick start guide takes you through the wizard and settings.

Tacitus

One thing that might be worth checking is the firmware version.  Draytek have 3 versions available for the 2800; 2 of them are v2.8.2 (I think the 'alternate' is an Australian version which might work better on some lines) and there is a beta 2.8.2.1 which could be worth a try.

I had a 2800 which worked well for a time and then the line characteristics seemed to alter or BT messed around at the exchange and, it no longer proved reliable.  It was sensitive to the firmware version, although this was on vanilla ADSL.

andyman2

Quote from: Rik on May 09, 2011, 16:15:38
You can get support 'out of hours' for a 'no connection' issue, andy, so you could deal with this at a weekend. Personally, I'd suggest taking your own router up there to try, you know that is working and OK with IDNet. Is the new connection ADSL or ADSL2+?

Rik, I obviously missed this on the recorded message can you let me know what this number is?

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

andyman2

Thanks Glenn. Looks like another visit this weekend. I will take my old netgear router preconfigured. Just a thought, if I use my mother in law's idnet user/pass would that work if I test it on my line? Or is the user tied to a particular telephone number.

Thanks

Andy

Rik

It should work, Andy. (At least, it used to. :))
Rik
--------------------

andyman2

Thanks Rik, will try tonight after work and let you know! Would be nice if it does, one less variable when I go down there.

Rik

Indeed, I'm all for narrowing the field in advance. :)
Rik
--------------------

andyman2

Tested with her user name/password in old netgear router on my broadband and it worked fine. So I think that is as much as I can do for the time being. I shall try it Saturday. I hope for BT's sake it works!