BT admits snooping on broadband connected customer LANs

Started by pctech, May 25, 2011, 12:15:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

Nice...Google doing it 'accidentally' from their cars doing streetview was bad enough :shake: and as the article says, great to do a quick scan for marketing purposes...
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Glenn

"we don't believe that consent is necessary where the testing is necessary to the service that we are providing".  :yeahright:
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

Meanwhile, we're all running round in small circles trying to deal with consent for the use of cookies.  :shake:
Rik
--------------------

esh

BT do so much cr*p to their customers I can't believe they still operate. All that nonsense about them re-routing legitimate URL requests with their DNS servers a while back amongst other things.... Who there actually thinks this is a good idea? I am assuming it is someone who doesn't actually know anything about the internet or its users... so that would be management again.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

Rik

I suspect most BT customers don't know enough to care.
Rik
--------------------

pctech

BT and its subsidiary have two types of direct customer (and I'm not talking about the ISPs here):

1. Those who want really cheap internet access and phone lines and don't care about the quality.

2. Those who have taken out their phone service with BT retail because they know the name and do not conduct research into other providers who provide a much better service.

BT knows its end user base is ignorant in the main and so it exploits them like this, who knows what else they are up to.

Rik

Watch this space, it will probably be revealed.
Rik
--------------------

pctech

After Phorm. can they be trusted with anything?

Rik

Rik
--------------------