new router recommendations - cheap + qos

Started by jazzist, May 26, 2011, 13:42:51

Previous topic - Next topic

jazzist

I currently use a 2700HGV but am seeing that when downloading HTTP is very hit and miss as it has no QoS. More of a problem these days with multiple computers on the home network; one may be downloading and then the others can't get on websites.

I'd quite like to get a new router with QoS, but maybe use the 2700HGV still as the modem - as it's the best ADSL modem.

What do you think, can you recommend anything?

If replacing the modem function of the 2700 then I see that TD Link do a suitable replacement (with QoS etc.) for £25:

TD-W8951ND : http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/prodetail.aspx?mid=0103030301&id=332

But is it any good?

Thanks for any replies!

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

jazzist

Thanks for the reply, that might be a plan.

I had a look through the TD Link's manual and couldn't see a mention of enabling one of the LAN ports as WAN so I wouldn't be able to use it unless the modem is good (50/50?!). The TD Link does future proof a little as it has Annex M which I'm not sure the 2700 has, not that I need faster uplink if I have QoS anyway. Suppose if going with the TD Link I could try it for a week and return it if it's no good.

The Buffalo device I could be sure about working though as it's designed for what I'm trying to do and I know the 2700 modem is very very good.

Leaning towards the Buffalo. Do you have one, had any issues?

Hmmm!!

Glenn

I have one on my FTTC line, it works fine, but I haven't configured it for QoS so can't comment on that.

I believe Bob uses the same router, so he maybe able to comment on QoS with it, but you may need to drop him a PM.
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

jazzist

I had a look in the manual for the Buffalo and the QoS options look a bit limited but I only need basic options anyway (can prioritise high, medium, low per port number) to keep port 80 going (and maybe others eg voip) when downloading etc.

It looks like it is supported by DD-WRT which would give it loads of QoS options :)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Quality_of_Service

Ordered one from BT Shop for £23.48 inc. economy shipping (3% Quidco too).

Thanks again.

FritzBox

The QWest firmware for the 2700 has QOS, not sure how sophisticated it is tho as I've not used it, but it would be the cheapest option ;)

Sorry, bit slooooow, it appears you've already spent some dosh

jazzist

I started a 500 MB download on my NAS last night which is connected to the 2700 via ethernet via homeplugs. I was also using my netbook via wireless. The wireless on the netbook was actually disconnected until the download on the NAS was finished! So, I'm starting to think this is not just about QoS this is about the horsepower of the 2700 when downloading at 17 Mbps; I didn't have these sorts of problems when I was on ADSL 1 (8 Mbps). Hoping that the 2700 is up to the job when relieved of routing tasks else I guess it's big money to get a router with equally good ADSL line/sync/noise performance (Billicon, high end Netgear, Draytek, ?) or gamble on a cheapy like the TD-Link (could always return this if no good..).

Thanks for the tip Fritzbox I'll take a look.

FritzBox

http://www.qwest.com/internethelp/downloads-auto-firmware.html

Don't forget, if you flash with this you won't be able to go back to a v5 firmware

jazzist

Thanks for the link. I don't think I fancy it due to all of the caveats and the inability to be able to flash back to V5. Plus I'm not sure it's just QoS I need as the 2wire seems to have real problems when hammered (see above) (could be NAT table full, lack of memory, etc.?).

I've done a bit more research into ADSL routers... I think that if the 2wire still can't handle a 17 Mbps download without problems when relieved of router duties (modem only) or if the Buffalo has a problem (shouldn't do) then I'll get Billion 7700N or 7800N. I'd quite like a 7700N (ability to adjust SNR, everything in one box, chipset the same as the 7800N, etc.) or 7800N (same as 7700N but with better antennas, a gigabit switch, and an external wan port) but I probably went down the right route for now as £20 is allot less than £50 or even well over a ton for a 7800N!