recomend router high open connections

Started by wardy277, May 30, 2011, 21:51:02

Previous topic - Next topic

wardy277

I have been mainly using netgear routers in the past as they seemed to be stable. Over the years they have been becoming more want more unstable. I decided to to for the more expensive one df834n which has been nothing but trouble

i use a pc as a server for personal website, hosting a minecraft server etc. I also have many wireless devices, android phones and tablets as well as a few laptops. So I need a rock solid router with a stable wifi, last router kept dropping (for all devices).

I think my main problem is with the open connections due to the certain applications. What I am looking for is not not too expensive router that can handle the open connections, i have tried lowering the but it still crashes in the end. I think the ram may also play a part a the netgear has very low ram, i have seen some routers with 128mb ram.

So, any make, model design. all i want is a stable router that can handle many open connections without freezing.  I don't need any bells or whistles, just the basics, wifi(do i even need n? ), lan, port forwarding.

Any suggestions?

I am on dsl, not cable btw

Steve

:welc5: :karma: Cheapest would be a BT 2700 off Ebay £15 approx usually. Otherwise your into the money with a Draytek 2710 or Billion 7800
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

Welcome to the forum. :welc: :karma:

Steve put it perfectly. :)
Rik
--------------------

Ray

Ray
--------------------

esh

Hi wardy. I got a Netgear DGFV338 (8-port firewall/VPN/ADSL modem/router/wireless) to serve as a master hub for all the computers and servers I run, and this was also an utter disaster which I have since given up on. Since I couldn't find anything else in the sub-£250 range that would do what I wanted, and I was already running a server permanently, I now use the (free) pfSense software running inside a virtual machine as a router, with a basic bridged ethernet ADSL modem. This now obviously has as much RAM as you care to put in the physical machine, and runs at your CPU speed and so is not short of power or memory. I use 2GHz with 384MB for the pfSense VM and it works a treat.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

Inkblot

At work we use Draytek 2820's at each site - biggest site has a standard BT ADSL connection that gives 10m down and around 1m up - with that bandwidth being shared between up to 120 devices at one time. PC's, Servers, iPhones, Android phones, laptops and so on. Only change I had to make was to decrease the timeout on the connections tab, default is 15000 connections with a 1440 minute timeout but we kept hitting that limit. Changed the timeout to 60 minutes and I haven't seen more than around 9k connections ever since. You need to update to the latest firmware though, the shipping firmware is 3.3.3 (Or at least it was) and you need 3.3.5 to be able to change the timeout.

Not a cheap router but does the job for us!

jazzist

Don't know if the following Billion spec info will help you..

7800N - (CPU) BCM6358 300MhZ, (Flash) 4MB, (RAM) 32MB, (Max NAT session) 3000
7700N - (CPU) BCM63281 320Mhz, (Flash) 8MB, (RAM) 32MB, (Max NAT session) 1984

The new high performance netgear looks Ok too, latest dual core broadcom chipset.

2700HGV has max NAT session of 1000 though can be potentially put in bridge mode and just used as a modem. This is potentially the cheapest route as a 2700HGV costs £10 and a router with similar/high spec to above high cost solutions around £20. I couldn't get the router I bought (Buffalo G300N V2) to work with the 2wire in bridge mode though.