Low speed connection and the frequent disconnects again...

Started by gyruss, Apr 28, 2011, 19:00:55

Previous topic - Next topic

gyruss

just had to copy/paste and quickly post my previous post as was connection connection has timed out to idnet before i'd managed to type the post.. that was twice.. imagine how frustrating its got now :)
Jase

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

gyruss

Just an update on my internet situation... and.. a conclusion   :thumb:

A few weeks ago, had another fault which happened while I was at work and my other 'arf was at home.  She rang me in work using her mobile phone to let me know our phone line was down, so I duly logged a fault with BT immediately foolishly without having been home first, but when I got home indeed tested the phone even with the test socket and the phone was not working.

Connected the filtered faceplate back in, and then tested my phone handset at a friends house.  It worked, so it wasn't the handset.

Got home, went upstairs to my pc with the intention of just tinkering with my photo library, and i noticed i was not getting any warnings about my internet connection.. and my antivirus updated normally too!  yayy!! internet!!!

So tested phone again.. no phone working.

did a search on the somewhat slower internet connection but was glad it worked and found that its quite possible for internet adsl to be working as that can work on 1-wire, but phones need 2-wire.. so with that in my mind i gladly waited for BT to send someone out which turned out to be the wednesday of the following week as i'd reported the fault on the previous friday.   (i cared not of the wait as the net was up and i was not getting pestered by cold callers/canvassers.

Anyway, i was in work (again) and other 'arf was at home, and engineer did whatever he did and when i got home did a 17070 quiet line test...

Crystal Clear.  Not a single crackle.. nothing.    Sweet!!! (check my previous posts for history)

So then did the phone call test to see if it red-lighted my router. did the test 4 times..  not once did my connection reset or red light. :)  (also sweet!!!)

So since that BT visit, my broadband has been up my profile hasn't dropped to anything i'd complain about and its been like this ever since.   So one of my lines had some sort of fault, and all my other 'arf got told was that he'd fixed it , experienced some problems then did some further work at the box then came back and did a final test.

silence IS golden... especially where noise is concerned ;)

Jase

Niall

There seems to be a lot of phone problems going around at the moment. My mate had problems about a month ago, my mums line went dead totally, I've had massive noise on the line, my sisters phone had immense noise and eventually stopped working.

It really seems like BTs network is so old, and they're spending all their money on trying to roll out broadband, that there are more and more faults on degrading equipment/lines and exchange side faults. I really wish the government would do something about the piss poor state of our networks :(
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

gyruss

Agreed, i put up with this bad internet connection with noise issues since i moved in here 4.5 years ago.. and only now despite having 3 BT visits in recent times has it got fixed.. and the best thing was that i'd logged it as...

a voice fault :)

Jase