Expected speed?

Started by UncleBob, May 29, 2011, 14:44:58

Previous topic - Next topic

UncleBob

Just a quick update.  I've recently ditched ZoneAlarm and now find that I get a fairly regular 30MB.  :fingers:

Rik

:thumb:

What are you using instead, Bob?
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

UncleBob

Quote from: Rik on Sep 01, 2011, 17:44:13
:thumb:

What are you using instead, Bob?

Well for now I'm just using the Windows firewall although I may investigate an alternative (Comodo perhaps).  What do you use Rik?  (Nice to see you by the way - I'd hoped you hadn't disappeared altogether  ;D

Lance

The windows firewall should be plenty as long as you're using a router (with firewall) as well.  :)
Lance
_____

Rik

What Lance said, Bob. :) I was never going entirely, merely standing down.
Rik
--------------------

UncleBob

Hi Lance and Rik,

Yes I do have a router with built-in firewall.  I'd already checked using the Shields-up test at https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 and it indicated everything was 'Stealth'.  I had read that a hardware firewall combined with Windows firewall was more than enough for most users - but not being very techie I wasn't sure whether this was right.  I'm glad that that is your view too - I'll leave things as they are (if it ain't broke ... )

kerrso05

Guys

When I first got FTTC/FTTP I was amazed by the speed I was getting from my Powerline Ethernet Connections around 37mbps but I was rather disappointed with my Wireless PC in the Bedroom with a speed around 16mbps but thought it was still much better than 2mbps with ADSL+2. Plus I had read on many a Forum/thread that with wireless I should expect a loss. Plus the PC was running on Windows XP
Anyway last night (for some unknown reason) it was very poor with a low speed of 4mbps and this was the best I saw on the wireless PC last night :-

Then I read an article on this weeks Webuser Magazine of a free application that could improve your Internet Speeds. I'm a sucker for these "wonder"........applications that say they are going to improve everything about your PC ..........and end up making your PC slow. I am always hoping for miracles but am always sadly disappointed.
I wasn't expecting much from this free application, especially when it was FREE but I downloaded it anyway.

Well, I have to eat my words because (for me) this small application is a Wonder Miracle. Look at this speed test:-

and this is the latest test I have just completed:-

What is this miracle application I hear you say:-

Auslogics Internet Optimizer 2.0[/u]

and you can download it from here:-

http://tinyurl.com/3gtya2m

Why not try it and see if you get the same improvements as me. Remember it is FREE and if it doesn't work you can always delete it. Let me know how you get on
Harry
Bangor, Northern Ireland

Rik

Interesting, Griff, a lot better than the 6% they claim.
Rik
--------------------

Steve

I can understand why it would help XP as that's optimised for the equivalent of  a dial up modem, interested to see similar gains on Win 7
Steve
------------

.Griff.

Quote from: Rik on Sep 03, 2011, 17:37:25

Griff?!? I didn't say anything lol

kerrso05

Ric

Yes, I saw that too..........6%

Well, it's much more than that with me.........I was never good at maths and especially percentages....but it must be staggering.
That's why I came here to tell you guys about it. To tell you the truth I am waiting for it to go back to the slower speed .........I don't know what it has done but whatever it does, it works (well for me it does) I'm now downloading CDs at 4mbs whereas it was 750 kbs (and I thought that was good)...............now a typical sized CD is downloaded in about 40 seconds....very fast in anyone's language

Harry
Bangor, Northern Ireland

Simon

Quote from: Rik on Sep 03, 2011, 17:37:25

Quote from: .Griff. on Sep 03, 2011, 18:16:41

Now you know why he's 'retired'.  ;D
Simon.
--

.Griff.

Quote from: Simon on Sep 03, 2011, 19:24:53
Now you know why he's 'retired'.  ;D

I just think he can't stop thinking about me!  ;)

Simon

Simon.
--

Rik

Quote from: .Griff. on Sep 03, 2011, 18:16:41

I get confused easily.  :blush:
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

kerrso05

Guys

Some bad news.......it doesn't seem to work on Windows 7. I tested it on a Windows 7 machine and the speeds were worse so I changed it back the original settings (at least you can do that with this software). It still works great on the Windows XP machine that I using now to write this.

Harry
Bangor, Northern Ireland

Rik

Another good reason to stick to XP. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Steve

That's what I would expect. Windows 7 is a modern OS optimisation is perfomed automatically as and when required.
Steve
------------

Lance

Another good reason to upgrade to Windows 7  ;)
Lance
_____

Rik

Rik
--------------------