FTTC - move isp or not?

Started by MikeSh, May 29, 2011, 19:57:32

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeSh

I am going to go to FTTC but am reluctantly considering going to BT because of:
1: Better price of £25.60 / month
2: No download cap.(although I'm not a heavy user most of the time)
3: Free Router (HomeHub)

The trouble is I have been with Idnet for some years and like the personal service and feel a certain loyalty also.
Anyone have any thoughts - good or bad about this please?
Mike
----------

.Griff.

BT (Infinity) is an 18 month contract so take that into account. Idnet (and other FTTC resellers) have a 12 month contract by comparison.

Do you use torrents at all? If so BT traffic manage these quite heavily.

What if something goes wrong? BT support is truly shocking in my experience with heavy reliance on foreign call centres.

The Homehub may indeed be free but there's much better routers out there which are worth paying the extra for (IMHO).

MikeSh

"Do you use torrents at all? If so BT traffic manage these quite heavily."

No I'm not a torrent user.

"What if something goes wrong? BT support is truly shocking in my experience with heavy reliance on foreign call centres."

Yes but whenever I've had any problems with my Idnet service it's been out of their control, have always directed me to deal directly with BT. If I was with BT at least there is only one company to deal with.

"The Homehub may indeed be free but there's much better routers out there which are worth paying the extra for (IMHO)."

Yes - I was actually going to use an Apple Airport Extreme which I already have.

Mike
----------

Steve

I think you need if possible to find out how well BT infinity is performing.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

MikeSh

Quote from: Steve on May 29, 2011, 20:37:50
I think you need if possible to find out how well BT infinity is performing.

I've been reading the BT Infinity forums and it can be a bit scary!! Trouble is would it be any different with Idnet as they are the same wires/fibre.
Mike
----------

Steve

I agree it's the same connection, I guess the reason for choosing the niche ISPs is the expectation of a higher level of performance and support coupled with the short contract. They know it's only too easy to lose customers  at short notice as they stand or fall by their performance. OK FTTC is one year but I suspect the majority of customers are on one months contract so even though they've got you potentially for a year they cannot afford to let performance slip.
Steve
------------

DorsetBoy

QuoteYes but whenever I've had any problems with my Idnet service it's been out of their control, have always directed me to deal directly with BT. If I was with BT at least there is only one company to deal with.

???   :dunno:  How's that then as BT won't deal with you as you are not their customer, your interface is with the supplying ISP ?

Rik

I was wondering that, Dorset.
Rik
--------------------

MikeSh

Quote from: Rik on May 30, 2011, 10:28:50
I was wondering that, Dorset.

Although I can't remember the exact circumstances (memory very poor the days :() I know that it needed my direct contact with BT.

In fact the more I think about it, the more reluctant I am to make a move, even though I am down to 4 Meg from my original 6 Meg.
And yes, I have done all the usual fault checking (filters changed, direct connection to master socket, wiring simplified, router changed etc).
Mike
----------

Rik

Anything to do with broadband would have to be handled by IDNet, you're not BT's customer so they wouldn't talk to you. Is your voice line with BT by any chance?
Rik
--------------------

MikeSh

Quote from: Rik on May 30, 2011, 10:55:42
Anything to do with broadband would have to be handled by IDNet, you're not BT's customer so they wouldn't talk to you. Is your voice line with BT by any chance?

Yes - I have an idea it was to do with dodgy jumpers on the exchange mainframe.
Mike
----------

Rik

I'm guessing the fault was best fixed as a voice fault, Mike, it's cheaper than getting an ADSL engineer out. :)
Rik
--------------------