Fibre Installation Query

Started by tehidyman, May 29, 2011, 16:36:30

Previous topic - Next topic

tehidyman

When eventually fibre is run from exchange to cabinet I have 4 questions. :confuse2:

1) Will OpenReach? replace the copper cable or just install the fibre? If it is just install maybe ignore rest of post

2) If they replace the copper cable with fibre can one continue to get current ADSL service on current equipment?

3) Then will the effective distance to my exchange be reduced to the length of copper cable from the cabinet to my home?

4) So will I notice any difference in download speed without changing router and package?

I have just seen that my exchange is scheduled to be converted by March next year.  Not holding breath though.

.Griff.

I can kinda see what you're thinking but BT just lay Fibre from the exchange to the cabinets alongside the existing copper. They don't remove the existing copper lines so your existing connection would remain unaffected in any way.

You'd need to upgrade to a FTTC/VDSL2 service/package to see any increase in speed.

Rik

1) AFAIK, fibre is being laid to new cabinets. The copper will still be around for re-use.

2) If you have an extra line put in, yes.

3) Yes. 21m in my case.

4) If you don't sign up to fibre, you'll still be on copper, the fact that fibre is at the cabinet is not the deciding factor, that is which package you choose to have.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.