Severe drop in network speed

Started by Sy, May 30, 2011, 10:30:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Sy

Hi there,

The past couple of days my network download speed has dropped to below 1mbps. My maximum network throughput is normally 7150 and it 99 times out of 100 is operating at that. I've done all the diagnostics an end user can do, run AV on all machines, then disconnected all devices bar one, and sequentially checked their speeds. I've raised a query with idnet but bank holiday and theres not much you can do really. Was wondering if anyone else has had this drastic drop in service this week at all? Like I said the past couple of days I've noticed it, but theres a small chance it could have been occuring a bit longer.

Sorry if i've missed any vital information off, i'm a first time poster. Their service is second to none as is their customer service, just would appreciate any insight from any fellow idnetters who may have been experiencing similar issues.

Thanks in advance

Sy

Simon

:welc: :karma:

Can you tell us what service you are on, and post your router stats and a BT speed test?
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

DorsetBoy

Your dialling code would help too so the status pages can be checked.

Ray

Ray
--------------------

Rik

Welcome to the forum, Sy. :welc: :karma:

There's no network problems at IDNet, but there have been a bunch of BT faults. However, my suspicion is you've had some instability, a BT test will tell us.

When you say you've done all the diagnostics, have you checked the service from the test socket?
Rik
--------------------

Sy

I'm on the ADSL MAX package i do believe, upto 8MB. a speed test result is here

what router stats are you after sorry. Looked for similar posts but couldnt find an example

Also the BT speedtest wouldnt work hence the thinkbroadband one, but the results are reflective of all the speedtests i've done. My dialing code is 01437 also

Rik

We really need the BT test, it's the only one which will tell us your profile. Without that, we can only guess at the probable causes. Have you checked your router log? The stats we need are the downstream sync speed, noise margin and attenuation.
Rik
--------------------

Sy

These are the results from the speedtester.bt.com test

Download speedachieved during the test was - 629 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps

The router im using is the dg834 btw

ADSL Link    Downstream    Upstream
Connection Speed    8128 kbps    448 kbps
Line Attenuation    25 db    7 db
Noise Margin    8 db    27 db

Rik

Your profile is fine, so that suggests exchange or network congestion. Do speeds vary at different times?
Rik
--------------------

Steve

Steve
------------

Sy

Never have done in the past, my speeds have always been stable peak time, a high stable at that, then a guaranteed maximum speed off peak, but i must note, the difference in the two has always been minimal. This is a staggering drop in performance which i have tested peak time and off peak time to now difference

Rik

There's nothing on the network status page to indicate anything affecting your exchange. With the stats you have, it would appear to rule out anything at your end, so my best guess, and it can only be a guess, remains with exchange or network congestion, probably the former (or we'd have other people here reporting the same issue). You'll need to talk to support tomorrow and they can check.
Rik
--------------------

Sy

Nice one, thanks for all your help. I did leave a message with support already but will give them a ding tomorrow. Was more concerned whether it was an oversight my end or not, but it seemed strange as there had been such a sudden decay in my connection speed.

Thanks again for all your insight. Have a nice afternoon

Sy

Rik

NP, sorry we can't give you an immediate solution. :)
Rik
--------------------

Lance

How do you connect to the router? If its wired, have you tried a different lan port and cable? If wireless, have you tried changing to wired?
Lance
_____