BT Wholesale browser message

Started by UncleBob, Jun 02, 2011, 18:53:00

Previous topic - Next topic

UncleBob

Hi all,

Can anybody tell me why I keep getting the following message? http://62.6.38.125/index.html

The Idnet support answer (switch off the router for 5 minutes) worked for yesterday but its back again today.  Surely I don't have to switch the router off every day?  Any thoughts?

Rik

It's most commonly a glitch with the radius servers not passing your authentication to IDNet correctly. Powering down the router, I'd usually recommend 15 minutes, clears the session and, when you reboot, hopefully the PPP will authenticate correctly.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

UncleBob

Thanks Rik.  I haven't a clue what you are on about  :blush: but I'll give your recommendation a try  :thumb:

Rik

When you connect, Bob, there are two phases. The first establishes a physical connect between you and the exchange, negotiating a sync speed to suit your line conditions at the time. The second authenticates your login (username & password) and, if correct, sets up the virtual connection to the ISP - that's the PPP session. In your case, it's the second phase that's the problem.
Rik
--------------------

UncleBob

OIC.

Thanks for the explanation.  Much appreciated.

UncleBob

Well, that seems to have done the trick (for now at least).  Thanks again Rik.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

UncleBob

OK, this message is stalking me!  :eek4: 

It appears a couple of times a week.  Is there a way to get rid of it for good rather than having to switch off the router repeatedly?

pctech

Sounds like a weird BT routing fault.

Steve

Steve
------------

zappaDPJ

Entering your preferred DNS server addresses directly into your PC's TCP/IP properties might help stop this. I have the same problem and it seems to have more or less fixed the issue. If you are not sure how to do this, leave a post with details of your operating system and we'll be able to talk you though the procedure :)
zap
--------------------

UncleBob

Quote from: Steve on Jun 17, 2011, 21:40:14
Anything in the router logs?

Hi Steve.  Forgive my ignorance but how do I check that?  :blush:

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Jun 18, 2011, 04:52:10
Entering your preferred DNS server addresses directly into your PC's TCP/IP properties might help stop this. I have the same problem and it seems to have more or less fixed the issue. If you are not sure how to do this, leave a post with details of your operating system and we'll be able to talk you though the procedure :)

Hi zappa.  No, I'm not sure how to do that so would appreciate some help, thanks. I'm running Windows XP Home.

Glenn

What router do you have, Bob?
Glenn
--------------------

Glenn

To manually add the DNS to Windows XP, follow the steps below;

Click Start > Control Panel > Network Connections and select your local network.
    On the General tab click Properties > Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
    Click Properties

The Internet Protocol window will appear. Click Use the following DNS server addresses and enter the DNS server(s) you want to use. If you want to add more DNS servers click Advanced and then the DNS tab.
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

Bob, for the DNS switch, right click on the network icon in the system tray and select Status. On the window that opens, select Properties, then scroll down in the list in the new window to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Select that and click on properties. In the next window, on the general tab, select the radio button "Use the following DNS server addresses, and enter the DNS that you want to use.

Open DNS

208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220

Norton

198.153.192.1, 198.153.194.1

Or what Glenn said. ;D

Google

8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4
Rik
--------------------

UncleBob

Quote from: Glenn on Jun 18, 2011, 11:06:48
What router do you have, Bob?

Hi Glenn.  I don't know the model I'm afraid - it just says BT Openreach on it (supplied by BT when I recently switched to FTTC).  The modem is a Netgear WNR1000 if that is of any help.

Rik

It's the other way round, Bob, your modem is supplied by BT, the router is the Netgear. Unfortunately, you're not going to get any sensible information out of the router, as far as I know, because it's the modem which needs to be interrogated, and that can't be done. :(
Rik
--------------------

Steve

I just wondered why it was dropping the PPP session Rik,that I thought may be in the log as it's initiated by the router.
Steve
------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

UncleBob

Quote from: Rik on Jun 18, 2011, 11:27:55
It's the other way round, Bob, your modem is supplied by BT, the router is the Netgear. Unfortunately, you're not going to get any sensible information out of the router, as far as I know, because it's the modem which needs to be interrogated, and that can't be done. :(

Hi Rik.  Glad you know what I'm talking about even if I don't  :slap:

Rik

;D

Don't bet on it, I just manage to sound convincing. ;)
Rik
--------------------

UncleBob

Thanks all - I've entered the DNS details and will see how things go. (Karma thrown in the direction of those concerned  :thumb: )

Rik

Let us know if it works, Bob. :)
Rik
--------------------

Bill

Quote from: Steve on Jun 18, 2011, 11:31:20
I just wondered why it was dropping the PPP session Rik,that I thought may be in the log as it's initiated by the router.

A brief PPP drop doesn't show up in my router log unless it's caused by sync loss- I suspect that the router is happy because it's still connected to something, (or maybe it just doesn't check very often), but I'm a long way from being sure about either :dunno:
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Steve

Perhaps the router's not checking it's connected often enough :dunno:
Steve
------------

Bill

Quote from: Steve on Jun 18, 2011, 12:17:35
Perhaps the router's not checking it's connected often enough :dunno:

Quite possibly, but an FTTC connection doesn't exactly swamp you with information :(

It's certainly odd- a brief PPP drop (like the one Simon_Idnet reported a few days ago) is visible on the BQM as a brief spike of packet loss, but doesn't instigate a new IPv6 address (but often triggers a profile change), possibly implying that the other end wasn't too bothered about it either?

A brief sync loss looks the same on the BQM, but does show up in the log and (afaict) always gets me a new IPv6 IP... I don't claim to understand it :dunno:
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Bill

BQM showed a brief packet loss spike this morning, so as a quick check I ran speedtest.net. Speed had gone up, not much- only about 400kbps but it's all welcome.

So I wondered what BT had done to my profile... nothing :dunno:

Routing change maybe?
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Bill

Ah, that's it- must be all that rain in the last 24 hours ;D
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Rik

Rik
--------------------

UncleBob

<Anti 'Tempting Fate' mode>

Just a quick update to say that I haven't seen that wretched message since taking the advice offered.  :thumb:

</Anti 'Tempting Fate' mode>

Simon

Simon.
--

zappaDPJ

Thanks for the feedback, good to hear it's working for you :fingers:
zap
--------------------

UncleBob

OK, I have a follow-up question, if I may.

My wife's laptop has just started to show the same message (not sure why its taken this long!) and I managed to fix it using the suggestions from the posts above.  However, it's also appearing on her HTC phone when she tries to browse using that.  How do I go about fixing the problem on a phone?

Steve

Sorry not got an Android based phone but it should be something along the lines of highlight the wifi connection > Menu > advanced settings > DNS settings
Steve
------------

Glenn

Settings - Wireless and Networking - Wi-Fi settings - advanced then scroll down to DNS settings.
Glenn
--------------------

UncleBob

Thanks guys.  Unfortunately the DNS1 and DNS2 options on the phone are both greyed out.  I'll keep looking.

Lance

My guess would be that there is a switch somewhere setting them to be automatically picked up. Turn that off and hopefully they won't be greyed out any more.
Lance
_____

UncleBob

Aaarrgghh  :mad:

It's working now (I'm not mad about that, obviously) but I have no clue what I did to fix it or whether it's just decided that it will play nicely afterall.  :dunno:

Rik

Rik
--------------------

.Griff.

You can only change the DNS settings on a HTC if you assign a static IP to it otherwise the options is greyed out.