BT wholesale web page: lost connection to your ISP

Started by mervl, Aug 30, 2011, 11:03:14

Previous topic - Next topic

mervl

I seem to get this a couple of times a week, usually between 7-9am (during my off-peak use) for up to about 20 mins though TBB BQM doesn't show any packet loss (and it looks as though security suite downloads can still occur). Is it just a known IDNet DNS issue which would be cured by using Open DNS (for which I've an account anyway which I used on another fixed wireless connection) as so far I've left the router configured to get DNS automatically from the ISP? Can't recall seeing this page previously on my former BTW service ADSL connection.

zappaDPJ

I get this quite a lot myself and I've had it very recently.

The three fixes I've tried in order of least successful first are:

1. Change to a different DNS.

2. Reboot the router leaving it off for at least 5 minutes.

3. Enter the DNS directly into the TCP/IP settings.

Option 3 kept me free of the issue for the longest period of time so you might want to try that if you haven't done so already.
zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Simon

Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Anton

I've never seen this but I use alternative DNS:-

http://www.opendns.com/

Fast and free - and better still with a static IP address easy to configure to keep less savoury sites away from young eyes.
Anton
FTTC - Airport Extreme (Dual Band) - Various Macs and Apple TVs!

mervl

Thanks. I've changed to Open DNS on the router (but I'll bear in mind it might be necessary to do so on the each computer's IP settings instead if the problem re-occurs). As I said in the post I have an Open DNS account used on another connection, so I have its security settings!).

UncleBob

Anton

Quote from: mervl on Sep 01, 2011, 14:22:46
As I said in the post I have an Open DNS account used on another connection.

Ah yes, so you did - Seems I jumped the gun a bit! ;-)

I don't think you should have to change the DNS in any of the client computers, but if you do, for machines that stay at home, just use the router IP address.
Anton
FTTC - Airport Extreme (Dual Band) - Various Macs and Apple TVs!