FTTP

Started by chrish, Jun 03, 2011, 06:32:39

Previous topic - Next topic

chrish

i am not sure mate he did not say SNR i am just guessing that its the equivalent of . But they do some kind of test and it has to fall between 12 and 30

chrish

Yes the ping is high ... i guess its the bt network

Lance

Nice speeds, I'm very jealous!  :P
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

chrish

Well did a test this morning with nothing running on my network -

zappaDPJ

I'd guess that the ping reflected by the speed test is not really representative. Try running a ping command from a command prompt and see if it drops. Very nice throughput though :)
zap
--------------------

Technical Ben

I'd be tempted to say "photoshop" if' I did not know better. :D
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Rik

No, you can tell it's GIMP, Ben. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Technical Ben

GIMP puts a little header in "made in GIMP" usually.  :whistle:
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

pctech

You can't Griff.

chrish

Got a phone call on Friday from a Manager at BT, who apologized for the time it had taken to get the fiber installed, he said that he had been authorization to offer me compensation, i refused the offer of cash and told him that the trial was only until October 2011 and could i have a extension instead, i got an extra 3 months so that will take me to the end of January 2012.

There are a couple of reasons i opted for the extension instead of cash,

1. I do not have to sign a 18 mths contract at least not until the end of January.
2. I am hoping that the FTTP product is on open sale so i can chose/keep with idnet.

One question though - If the product becomes available can ISP such as IDnet offer it at the same time as BT or do BT get a grace period (Get the chance to offer it first before other ISP can)

Thanks

Chris H

Lance

As soon as its offered by BT wholesale, it should be available to all ISPs. Of course, whether that happens or not is a different matter!
Lance
_____

pctech

At the moment chris only a few ISPs are involved in the trial.

Off the top of my head these are BT Retail (BT Broadband and Plusnet), Zen Internet, Andrews and Arnold and probably others by now (there was a list which I am attempting to find)

Once the trial is over though it will get opened up to all I believe.

chrish

Hi
Well i see Bt have the FTTP product for sale, any news from Idnet ? i am in no rush as i have until the end of January 2012 until my trial runs out.

Thanks

chris H

Rik

Sorry, you'd have to ask directly, we haven't been told anything as yet.
Rik
--------------------

pctech

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Jun 03, 2011, 21:13:37
A typical day with BT then. Sorry to hear that :(

It's really latency and real money throughput I'm particularly interested in. As all the copper is gone I'm wondering how much of an effect it has.
From a couple of people I know that have it they get about 77 Meg up and down as its contended.