IPv6 & June 6th

Started by RogerP, Jun 03, 2011, 21:32:25

Previous topic - Next topic

RogerP

Hi

Can't say I understand any of the talk about Ipv6 but would like to know if my router a dual ssid 2700 is capable of using this new technology???

I do use a MacBook Pro most of the time but her in doors likes Windows ( Office etc ), my Mac I know does support it but connects thro' 2700 router by WiFi hence my question.

I would like to have a go so to speak on June 6th but don't know how to go about it or obtain the necessary mac address ( if thats the right term ) from Idnet, any thoughts or help would be appreciated as long as it's not to techie.

Rogerp

Steve

As I understand it you need a router and modem thats supports IPv6, the 2700 is said to be IPv6 capable but I know no more. There may be three of us here running IPv6 with the Billion 7800N, the latest firmware is dual stack so it supports IPv4 and IPv6 simultaneously . All you have to do is enable IPv6 on this router and that's basically it. The router picks up a IPv4 and IPv6 address from IDNet and also allocates IPv4 and IPv6 address to capable devices . So my Macbook has two addresses one to browse the IPv4 internet and the other the IPv6 internet.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

RogerP

Hi

Cheers Steve for the reply it looks as though a new router at some stage may be on the cards, perhaps I should wait and see how things pan out and more router info and products are available and tested.

Thanks again anyway

Rogerp

Steve

My guess is it's at least 18 months before there will be any requirement for IPv6 and IPv4 is going to be around for a long time yet.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

RogerP

Hi Again

Well it looks as if my trusty 2700 will be plodding on for a bit longer, we do not have FTTC or FTTH in N Wales and no sign of any indication when either so that says to me no need to get excited about it in the short term.

Just thought I would ask question and see what came back.

Thanks again

Rogerp