internet dead

Started by gazzthompson, Jun 05, 2011, 11:46:39

Previous topic - Next topic

gazzthompson

Rik

It might be worth deleting the network connection and creating a new one to see if that unblocks things. I'm torn on this, the error message suggests a fault within Windows or between your hardware and the router (including the router). OTOH, if it's affecting all four machines, the most obvious thought would be that the router is the problem? Could you borrow one from anyone, or test yours on another line?
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Ted

from reply #11

QuoteGot new router, netgear dgn2200 and when setting up the dsl link light won't show so its something to do with the dsl

:whistle:
Ted
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Rik

But there seems to be an issue with the installation of that router, Ted, hence my suggesting that the OP try another.
Rik
--------------------

esh

I really would not trust the Windows errors/warnings, I think it is leading you astray. This error can occur if the router cannot reach the internet, so it could be (and most likely is) an ADSL fault. If you can ping your router or access the router webpage, it's clearly not a problem on the link between you and the router. If all the other PCs on the network can access each other it sounds simply like there either is no ADSL link or PPP. Personally I think this is far more likely than some quirky Windows glitch.

I don't suppose you know your IP address, as someone here could ping it to confirm your ADSL is up or down.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

Rik

Reply 8 suggests the router is in sync. Given the reference to setting up, I suppose the question has to be asked, is the right username and password being used?
Rik
--------------------

Ted

Quote from: Rik on Jun 05, 2011, 18:08:26
Reply 8 suggests the router is in sync. Given the reference to setting up, I suppose the question has to be asked, is the right username and password being used?

Occam's razor strikes again!  ;D
Ted

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Ted

Ted

gazzthompson

On my original I checked the password and username provided by idnet (can access my mail on my phone)  and it was correct. The new router failed with the no ADSL connection error before prompting me for my idnet username and password.

pctech

Try resetting the TCP/IP stack. (note this will remove all fixed IP settings)

In XP go to Start > Run and type cmd (Vista and 7 go to start > All Programs > Accessories and right-click Command Prompt and left click Run As Administrator)

Type netsh int ip reset C:\reset.txt (filename can be anything but is required)

Press enter, it will tell you to reboot to complete the reset.

When the system comees back up put back any static IP settings if required or just try and browse to a page.

gazzthompson

pctech

gazzthompson

Said so , and I restarted like it prompted

pctech

Def sounds like a BT problem then.

dlorde

Quote from: gazzthompson on Jun 05, 2011, 11:46:39
Nets been out since Friday night about 2am . No idea what's going on, windows says "the connection between your access point, router, or cable and the internet is broken" and Chrome says "dns lookup failed"

I've been getting intermittent browsing failure of this kind on and off for some weeks. Both Chrome and Windows 7 diagnostics say the DNS lookup failed or the DNS server is unavailable. Usually it only lasts a minute or two, or while I reset the modem, but tonight it persisted for some time, despite resetting & power-cycling the modem, so I switched to the Google DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4), and it's been fine since then...

gazzthompson

Reply from Support:

QuoteI have completed tests on
the line and everything is testing fine except the phone line itself.
The line test is not able to recognise your phone line correctly. This
would suggest a change on the PSTN line itself. I highly recommend you
contact your phone line provider and request a full test of the phone line.

gazzthompson

BT tested the line. no faults....  :dunno:

pctech

Back to support then.

Sounds like a database screw up which they will have to progress with BT.

gazzthompson

Its frustrating to have a £35 a month line with no internet for 3+ days -_-

edit: gotta get a engineer which will be £50-£90   :mad:

pctech

I couldn't agree more, they should now be able to progress the issue with BT.

gazzthompson

I guess i have no option but to get the engineer ?

Rik

If you're satisfied you've exhausted any possible problems with your router and internal phone wiring.
Rik
--------------------

pctech

They really need to get the line tester working first though?

Rik

I thought, from reply 42, that they had, Mitch.
Rik
--------------------