Advice needed please - could my synch be better?

Started by Frugal, Jun 05, 2011, 20:42:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Frugal

Hi all,

I've been with IDnet for a couple of years and overall I'm very happy with the service.

About a year ago the synch speed dropped, from a pretty regular 5mps ish to about 2-3mbps. I contacted support and they suggested I get a new router as my old one was instigating disconnections, and this was keeping my profile low.

So I bought a new one (Billion 7300N), and support reset my profile.  It started off at 10+Mbps (I was over the moon :) ), but then it started dropping a little each day and eventually settled around the 3mpbs mark, which is where it is now.

We had some building work done on the house since then, which involved rewiring the internal BT cables.  I had them disconnect all but two sockets - The master is now within 1 metre of where the line enters the house, and there's a single extension downstairs.

I was hoping the rewire might help, but I'm still stuck at the same speed.

So, finally getting to the point of this post... :) (sorry for the ramble!)

These are my stats, do you think that I should be able to synch at a higher speed than this?  I have my suspicion there may be a fault at the exchange but want to see what you learned people think before I contact support again.

Operational Mode    ADSL2+
Upstream    907 kbps
Downstream    3072 kbps
SNR Margin (Upstream)    9.0 db
SNR Margin (Downstream)    15.7 db
Line Attenuation (Upstream)    20.3 db
Line Attenuation (Downstream)    36.0 db

Thanks in advance.

Steve

I would like to see the router stats from the test socket behind the master faceplate if you've got one, why? It could be the remaining extensions that are inducing noise into the broadband signal. We need the figures as soon as you've connected to the test socket.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Frugal

Ok I've disconnected the extension, these are the readings when plugged directly into the master test socket:

Operational Mode    ADSL2
Upstream    899 kbps
Downstream    3072 kbps
SNR Margin (Upstream)    9.0 db
SNR Margin (Downstream)    17.3 db
Line Attenuation (Upstream)    20.4 db
Line Attenuation (Downstream)    34.0 db

Steve

I keep coming up with banded profile but here's the list

WBC banded line profile (rate kbps)
7168 - 14336
4864 - 9728
3328 - 6656
2272 - 4544
1472 - 3072
1152 - 2272
576 - 1152
288 - 576
160 - 288

By coincidence your downstream sync is at the upper limit of one of the bands . Banded profiles are used by BT to limit the max sync of noisy and or high error rate adsl2+ broadband connections. The key is to try and eliminate any internal noise i.e is the ring wire disconnected from the master socket and the extensions. If your happy there is nothing more you do contact support and get them to ask BT if the banding can be lifted.

http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,1904.msg31528.html#msg31528
Steve
------------

Frugal

OK I contacted support and the banding has been reset. Stats now:

Operational Mode    ADSL2+
Upstream    971 kbps
Downstream    10475 kbps  <- YAY!  :D
SNR Margin (Upstream)    5.6 db
SNR Margin (Downstream)    3.9 db
Line Attenuation (Upstream)    20.4 db
Line Attenuation (Downstream)    36.0 db

Now streaming Dr Who in HD!   :laugh:

Let's hope it lasts...

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Steve

Looking at the downstream margin if there's any noise around you may well see a drop in sync,  :fingers:  Did you check for possible internal noise sources ie bell wire,sky boxes,swap filters etc.
Steve
------------