Networked printers

Started by Rik, Jun 10, 2011, 12:06:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

If changing router, especially to one using a different IP range, what's the easiest way to re-assign the printer's IP address, delete and re-install, or simply edit the address in the port settings?
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Lance

I've always given my printer a static ip  ;D
Lance
_____

Rik

So have I, but if the router uses a different IP range, that spoils things. :)
Rik
--------------------

jameshurrell

IMO, the best way to do this - if your router supports it - is to get the printer to use DHCP, but then force the router to always hand out the same IP address to the printer. I think you use a 2wire Rik don't you? If so, the 2Wire will do this. You'll then need to go into the printer settings (on your PC) and create a new port corresponding to the printer's new IP addres and then force the printer to use that new port.

This avoid situations where the fixed IP address used on a device is given out by the router and a conflict occurs.

I had a client call me about this exact problem earlier in the week. The printer had a fixed IP address, set on the printer itself. This served 10 users. One day, the router went belly up, so a new one was installed by another contractor, using a different IP address range - and guess what? No one could print.

Steve

I try to keep everything the same , if the new router uses a different IP range then I change the IP range, and the rest is  via DHCP with the same address assigned each time
Steve
------------

Rik

Thanks, James, I do use a 2700, and changing them is pretty straightforward, but I was thinking ahead to an alternative router for fibre. :)

That sounds like a plan, Steve. :thumb:
Rik
--------------------

pctech

Planning to convert Rik?

Rik

Not necessarily, Mitch, but planning the planning. ;D
Rik
--------------------

FritzBox

Quote from: Steve on Jun 10, 2011, 15:19:13
I try to keep everything the same , if the new router uses a different IP range then I change the IP range, and the rest is  via DHCP with the same address assigned each time

:thumb: