Using IDNet nameservers on Speedtouch 585v6

Started by sat_mad, Jul 09, 2011, 12:51:19

Previous topic - Next topic

sat_mad

Hi,

I've been using OpenDNS for many years now, but in recent DNS benchmarks I have done I've found that their nameservers are much slower than other options.  ::)

I thought I'd just try the IDNet ones instead as they are praised in other forum posts, but just need some advise on setting up the router.

I have OpenDNS set up on the router (rather than PCs), which on the Speedtouch is done via a telnet CLI.

Currently, in the router's browser-based admin, the nameservers are showing up as IDNet's, but the command line ones are overwriting them.

Should I enter the IDNet ones via telnet, or is there a way/command I can use so that the router will use route to the default ones? Is it just the case of deleting the OpenDNS ones?  ???

- Richard

Simon

Hi Richard, and a belated :welc: :karma:

Sorry, I can't help with your question, but I'm sure someone will along soon who can.  :)
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

pctech

This page might be some help http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/speedtouch585.htm (just substitute the OpenDNS IPs for the IDNet ones)

Ray

Ray
--------------------

sat_mad

Thanks for your replies (and karma!  ;))

Putting the IDNet DNS in via telnet was plan #2 - I was just thinking that a router wouldn't need the IP addresses adding originally, so there might be a way of making the router use what was available.  :-\

I might see if a full factory reset does the trick!

Sorry to be full of questions, but I saw this Thompson router whilst searching for DNS information.

It claims to be able to provide wireless G & N simultaneously, but doesn't it seem cheap for something with that sort of capability?

Steve

It should pick up IDNet nameservers automatically  if no others are listed plus I've no idea of the capabilities of the router you linked to but it does seem cheap.
Steve
------------

sat_mad

Thanks for that Steve. I've finally got the router to use IDNet's nameservers (after full factory reset), but in the benchmarks I've run they're not particularly fast.  :-\

I've manually added some third party ones to each machine, and general browsing seems much quicker now.

I think I'm tempted to get one of the routers though!  ;)

pctech

Which ones have you benchmarked against out of interest?

Ted

I keep a small text file for using with the 585.

Changing DNS servers on a Thomsom Speedtouch 585 v7
---------------------------------------------------

Open a Terminal / Command prompt

telnet 192.168.1.254  *logs into router interface*
Enter router username and password
Username = Administrator
Password = password

dns server route  *changes to dns server directory*

list  *shows list of dns servers*

flush  *deletes dns servers*

add dns=208.67.222.222 metric=1 intf=Internet  *adds primary open dns server*

add dns=208.67.220.220 metric=2 intf=Internet  *adds secondary open dns server*

list  *check list of new dns servers*

saveall  *saves all changes to the router*

exit  *logs out of telnet*

exit  *closes terminal*
________________________________________________________________________________

List of DNS Servers         

Primary            Secondary

Open DNS    =   208.67.222.222         208.67.220.220 F

IDNet       =   212.69.36.3         212.69.40.3 F

Symantec    =   198.153.192.1 F         198.153.194.1

NTT america   =   129.250.35.250 F      129.250.35.251

________________________________________________________________________________

dns server route add dns=208.67.220.220 metric=1 intf-Internet
dns server route delete dns=208.67.220.220

dns server route add dns=198.153.192.1 metric=1 intf-Internet
dns server route delete dns=198.153.192.1

dns server route add dns=212.69.40.3 metric=1 intf-Internet
dns server route delete dns=212.69.40.3

Just a matter of copy and paste. If you use the flush and saveall commands, the router will pick up the IDNet servers automagically.

The "F" on the end of the DNS servers are the ones I find fastest. YMMV

Ted
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

sat_mad

Quote from: pctech on Jul 10, 2011, 10:56:37
Which ones have you benchmarked against out of interest?

I've been using Steve Gibson's Domain Name Speed Benchmark which tests your current nameservers against hundreds of publicly available ones.

It runs like a portable app (no installing), but if you put it in a folder and run it (will take a while), you'll be asked to create a personalised list of servers that are best for your connection. This puts an ini file in the folder, and makes the whole process much quicker so you can test at different times of the day. The conclusions section is also handy for learning about your setup.

I'm currently running a nameserver from 'Internap Network Services' and 'Murphx Infrastructure'.

sat_mad

Quote from: Ted on Jul 10, 2011, 10:59:44
I keep a small text file for using with the 585.
Thanks for that Ted, will definitely make a copy for future use as I always end up Googling for the commands.  :)