Speeds

Started by Tanzanite, May 18, 2007, 21:29:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanzanite

Oh and the leccy socket near the phone point upstairs was recently rewired but he's one of the best electricians round here. The front of the socket was hanging off and had been for ages so he sorted all that. It wouldn't surprise me if it was something in the electrics as one of the sockets in the house had an illegal wire in it which he took out and he said it looked like someone not very experienced had done the electrics in the house.

It's a rented house which was used by squatters, used tro be a shop years ago and when the squatters moved out and the whole house was sorted, the electrics were rewired. The whole house should be demolished, we've had a lot of problems in this house, leaks, ceiling falling down, there's one lightbulb in the house upstairs which goes regularly. The non double glazed windows rattle in their rotten frames with a slight breeze, I could go on! Yes, I would move but it's diffiuclt to get somewhere else in my situation.

Tanzanite

Ok, will have to try that.
Can try the shielded lead too.

Think it's going to be a case of putting up with it though. At least I'm not at 1.5mg as I was before.

Lance

Quote from: Rik on May 21, 2007, 12:21:19
You might just improve things with a shielded ADSL modem lead - some people have had good results from them, others have not.

I found using one improved my connection stability and consequently speed. I think it helped because the ADSL lead has to run alongside a power lead, which previously it was picking up noise from.
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Tanzanite

Where did you get yours from lance?

Lance

It was about £10 from Maplin. You can probably find them cheaper online but I wanted to get it the same day.
Lance
_____

Rik

Mine was also from Maplin, I have one 'on the doorstep'. PC World do the Belkin version, but it's probably about £15. :(
Rik
--------------------

Tanzanite

What about this one? here

5m is a bit long tho. Wouldn't that make things worse being so long?

Rik

Quote from: Tanzanite on May 21, 2007, 12:24:28
Oh and the leccy socket near the phone point upstairs was recently rewired but he's one of the best electricians round here.

The main wiring, in itself, should be a problem, but it might act as an antenna for anything plugged into it. The mains isn't shielded and doesn't use twisted pairs, so only proximity is really an issue there. The lghtbulb issue could be caused by a faulty holder, which is arcing. Look at the solder blobs on the bulb to see if there's signs of 'melt'. If that were the case, it would be increasing the noise around your system.
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: Tanzanite on May 21, 2007, 12:36:14
5m is a bit long tho. Wouldn't that make things worse being so long?

They used to do a 1m version, but seem to have discontinued it. Belkin has a 1.8m version, from memory. In theory, you want to keep the lead as short as possible. OTOH, 5m compared to the cable run to the exchange is not significant. It may also allow you to site the router in a better position.
Rik
--------------------

Tanzanite

Just to double check before I buy, this one?

Probably be £5 postage on top of it  ::)

Rik

That should be OK, Eve. Hopefully, they'll stick it in a jiffy bag for you and charge a reasonable amount of carriage.
Rik
--------------------

Tanzanite

Thanks. Done  :) £4.50 postage though.

Rik

It's always the way, sadly. :(
Rik
--------------------

Tanzanite

I know, I buy 99% of everything I need (and want lol) online. Do resent paying high postage charges though for a small or cheap item. Though I suppose some cables can be heavy.

Right, I'm off to stuff me face lol  ;D

Rik

The problem with carriage on small items is that companies still have to pay the postage, buy the packaging (Jiffy bag?) and pay someone to put the item in it, seal it, address it etc. I suppose they could increase prices generally, and absorb (or hide) the carriage, as some Channel Islands firms do, or they can keep their prices down, and charge the carriage. Either way, we pay. :(
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Quote from: Tanzanite on May 21, 2007, 13:00:46
Thanks. Done  :) £4.50 postage though.

Postage free over £30 spend, I think...  ;)
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Tanzanite

lol There's nothing else I need though!

Inactive

Quote from: Tanzanite on May 21, 2007, 13:39:25
lol There's nothing else I need though!

;D typical, I bet you will tomorrow, if you are like me. ;)
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Tanzanite

Quote from: Inactive on May 21, 2007, 13:42:03

Well there's plenty of things I'd like, just not there  :laugh:

Rik

Quote from: Inactive on May 21, 2007, 13:42:03

I'm a member of that club too. :(
Rik
--------------------

Tanzanite

I tend to do that when I do a Boots shop online, always, always forget at least one thing.

Rik

So we need a "Forgot something" club to go with the "Deja Vu" club?  ;)
Rik
--------------------

Tanzanite

Or the getting old and forgetful club  :laugh:

Tanzanite

I've changed the router lead to the shielded one, not much difference. Maybe a slight one with the noise margin being a bit more stable but I've noticed  I'm getting disconnections again in the day now  >:( Maybe once a day, some days none.
Also, my Auntie got me to try a torrent thing to download something. I got LOADS of discconnections while that was going. How come?
Screen shot below.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Rik

Hi Eve

I don't do torrents, so can't comment much on them. What the graph does show, though, is that you still have a tremendous amount of noise pickup, if you can't eliminate it locally, the only thing I can suggest is to call support and get them to test the line, if there's a problem on the BT side, they will escalate it for you.
Rik
--------------------