Powerline ethernet adapters through surge protected extension leads

Started by pctech, Jun 29, 2011, 17:10:49

Previous topic - Next topic

pctech

Here's one for you.

I've finally managed to get my connection speed high enough to support Xbox Live but at the moment I have to stretch 8 metres of cat 5 (donated by the generous networking guys at work) from my router in my hall to my AV set up in my room where my xbox is.

I can't really leave this in situ because it is likely to cause a nasty accident if I get up in the night to visit the bathroom not to mention looking a little unsightly.

There is a single socket where my PC is and a single socket behind my telly, both of which have Belkin surge protector extension leads on.

My question is, has anyone used powerline ethernet adapters plugged into extension leads and how did you get on?

Steve

They definitely work on non surge protected extension leads and I think you may expect some reduction in performance on the surge protected ones. I recall converting some single sockets to double ones (ok they're not flush anymore) to run homeplugs.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

gizmo71

I have to run one like that, but there is a noticeable (~30% in my case) drop in speed.

I bought a couple of pass through homeplugs to use in situations where the drop in speed wasn't acceptable and there simply wasn't any way to free up a wall socket; if you don't already own homeplugs without pass throughs that's a much better solution.

For example: these ones
SimRacing.org.uk Director General | Team Shark Online Racing - on the podium since 1993
Up the Mariners!

Lance

Ummm... get a longer cable and put it along the skirting board? Cat5 can be up to 100m in length.
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Technical Ben

Yep. Else get wifi. Was playing Xbox over a phones 3g connection last week. Would not recommend pc gaming, but it just about worked for the xbox.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

pctech

Been down the Wi-FI route with the old adapter, had trouble maintaining any sort of connection.