IPv6 - Should I or shouldn't I?

Started by Ardua, Jul 12, 2011, 14:38:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Ardua

My router manufacturer's (Fritz!Box) website tells me that my router firmware has:

Internet: NEW – DS Lite support for connections to IPv4 nodes via native IPv6 access
Internet: automatic setup through supplier via TR-069 expanded to include IPv6 connections
Internet: IPv6 – new RFC 5969 tunnel protocol: IPv6 Rapid Deployment on IPv4 Infrastructures (6rd)
Internet: IPv6 workaround: until rebooted, Windows 7 will no longer accept the same prefix once it has been invalidated

Should I tick the 'IPv6 enabled box' or just leaves things working as they are? If I do enable IPv6 - what should I expect to see?

You will have gathered by now that my level of knowledge about IP versions is not that great. ???

Steve

I think I'll pass >:D

My only experience is with a Billion router,Mac OS X and native IPv6 through IDNet. You enable IPv6 on the router interface and on reboot my router and attached Macs all have an IPv4 and an IPv6 address. Is there any advantage to me? Only with regard to the fact that I can browse the currently very limited IPv6 internet. The fact that I have no NAT between me and an IPv6 site I have yet to see as an advantage.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Bill

Quote from: Ardua on Jul 12, 2011, 14:38:56
Should I tick the 'IPv6 enabled box' or just leaves things working as they are?

If you don't like it, you can always untick it again :P

QuoteIf I do enable IPv6 - what should I expect to see?

If everything is working properly- somewhere between "very little" and "nothing at all", depending on the sites you visit. Obviously the biggest difference will be on the test sites- http://test-ipv6.com/ and http://ipv6-test.com/ are two useful ones, and you'll be able to set up an IPv6 BQM if you want.

Like Steve, I use v6 with a Billion router so can't help with the Fritz!Box and mainly went with IPv6 because I like playing with new toys. In all honesty I wouldn't really miss it, but it doesn't do any harm to get in a bit of practice with new stuff.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6