No IP address?

Started by UncleBob, Jul 11, 2011, 19:48:20

Previous topic - Next topic

UncleBob

Hi all,

I feel a little guilty - I only ever come here when I have a problem   >:D

Anyway, I have a Netgear WNR1000 wireless router (I think I have it the right way around this time Rik!) and have a FTTC connection.  For the last week or so I keep getting an amber light showing up on the internet status indicator.  The manual indicates that this means "No IP address acquired".  If I switch off the router and modem, leave them off for a while and then start up again normal service is resumed.

What's up and how can I avoid having do do the on/off thing every other day?

Thanks in advance.  :fingers:

Niall

I think that might actually be a router problem. I could be wrong of course as I'm no expert (as my post history will attest to :D) but when I was looking through Netgear's forums support, there are a LOT of people having that issue with a variety of Netgear routers. Check out what's on their site if no one confirms it's any other problem of course :)
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Steve

Not an FTTC user but the modem supplied by BT has a history of overheating. I think the dsl light on the modem starts to flash if there is a problem (it should be constant I believe when it's behaving) Niall could well be right but you need to check the modem's functioning ok first I think.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Bill

Good thinking about the modem- if it's mounted horizontally it would be worth trying it wall-mounted to see if the problem goes away.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

UncleBob

Thanks for the thoughts.

I don't know whether to feel better or worse that many others are having the same issue  :dunno:  I do have the latest firmware so I guess I'll just wait to see what develops.

The modem is wall-mounted and never gets any hotter than 'warm'.  I'll try to remember to look for the flashing DSL light.

Bill

Quote from: UncleBob on Jul 12, 2011, 09:50:56I'll try to remember to look for the flashing DSL light.

Next time it happens, try leaving the modem alone and just turning the router off- it's generally best to avoid attracting the attention of BT's DLM!

Also, rather than turning the router off, try a disconnect/reconnect (or a re-start) via its web interface.

As a last resort, put the router on a time switch at around 5am :P
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

UncleBob

Well, it was OK for a few days but today witnessed the return of the orange light  :shake:

If this really is a problem with the router then perhaps I should return it to Idnet as faulty?

Lance

Did you do as Bill suggested and try restarting just the router?
Lance
_____

UncleBob

Quote from: Lance on Jul 16, 2011, 11:38:45
Did you do as Bill suggested and try restarting just the router?

Apologies for the tardy response, Lance.  Just got back from a short holiday  :thumb:

Yes, I did try as Bill suggested with regards to just switching the router off.  I didn't follow the suggestion about the web interface reset because, frankly, I couldn't see how to.  I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.

Rik

The  documentation should give you the login address for the router's web interface, Bob, eg 192.168.1.0...
Rik
--------------------

UncleBob

Quote from: Rik on Jul 22, 2011, 17:46:50
The  documentation should give you the login address for the router's web interface, Bob, eg 192.168.1.0...

Hey Rik,

I can log in - I just can't see how to use the interface to do a reset.  :dunno:

Steve

Failing that can you find a disconnect / connect?
Steve
------------

UncleBob

Quote from: Steve on Jul 22, 2011, 21:41:32
Failing that can you find a disconnect / connect?

Found it!  I'd flicked through the various pages looking for an appropriate option but hadn't clicked any of the option buttons to investigate further - doh!  If I select the Router Status page under the Maintenance heading there is a button marked Connection Status.  Clicking this opens a new window with further buttons to Connect or Disconnect.  I'll give this a try next time it happens.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

UncleBob

Hi all,

Apologies for dredging this post up again but the amber light issue now seems to be pretty much a daily event.  I can fix it each time using the software disconnect recommended by Bill but should I really have to be doing this every time I want to use the internet?  What do you think guys?

(To balance things out I have to say that when it's working the FTTC service is usually pretty impressive.  ;) )

Rik

Have you spoken to support?
Rik
--------------------

UncleBob

Quote from: Rik on Oct 06, 2011, 12:22:13
Have you spoken to support?
Hi Rik,

No I haven't.  What hours do they work? 

(The advantage of forum queries is that you can squeeze them in at work whereas a support call means you need to be 'with' your hardware).

Edit : Mr Lazy has now looked at the main site ;) : http://www.idnet.net/support/faq.jsp#content23

Lance

Actually those hours in the FAQ are slightly wrong. Telephone support is now available 24/7 (although faults etc will only be logged with BT during their working hours) :)
Lance
_____

UncleBob

Just to keep you in the loop ...

I've spoken with support.  I was advised that the router had some sort of 'idle time' setting activated that basically meant that it switched off whenever not in use.  This has now been changed to 'always on'.  We'll see how things go from here.  I must admit it means nothing to me but thought I'd post it in case it proves to be of use to anybody else in the future  :angel:

Simon

Simon.
--