work VPN problem

Started by goingonholiday, Jul 16, 2011, 17:35:03

Previous topic - Next topic

goingonholiday

Hi, I sometimes connect my work laptop via VPN to check emails etc.  It's worked fine for years but they have decided to upgrade the BTMobile Express client we use and have changed from routers I'd never heard to to Cisco and now it doesn't work!

I've got it working at a broadband connection they have at work but when I connect at home, nothing, ring the BT helpdesk and they can't see me trying to connect at their end so nothing they can do. 

Wireless isn't enabled on the laptop, I'm connected to the router with an ethernet cable.  I've checked the laptop is connected to the router by looking at the DHCP Client list on the router and the work laptop shows up there (it's a Belkin router).  I've also tried another laptop connecting by the ethernet cable and all is well.

Can anyone suggest anything else I can look at to resolve this?  Work have said the new set-up doesn't work with AOL (don't know why though) - any ideas much appreciated!

Thanks

Rik

Sorry, no ideas myself, but stick around and an expert will be along shortly.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Steve

My guess and it is a guess is that its a port forwarding issue on the firewall.
Steve
------------

goingonholiday

Quote from: Steve on Jul 16, 2011, 17:37:17
My guess and it is a guess is that its a port forwarding issue on the firewall.

Thanks for the quick reply don't really know what that means but anything I can check / do?

Steve

Can you connect the laptop with the DMZ option on your particular router this takes it out of the router's firewall protection, you could also trying cycling windows firewall to see if that is blocking the connection. Lastly which VPN client are you using as  you should be able to find some information regarding router setup.
Steve
------------

goingonholiday

Quote from: Steve on Jul 16, 2011, 17:49:49
Can you connect the laptop with the DMZ option on your particular router this takes it out of the router's firewall protection, you could also trying cycling windows firewall to see if that is blocking the connection. Lastly which VPN client are you using as  you should be able to find some information regarding router setup.

Thanks for this, I did the DMZ option and it didn't make any difference.  The laptop is pretty locked down and windows firewall isn't enabled, says it's using Domain settings.

What do you mean by VPN Client, on my laptop I use BTMobileXpress.

Thanks

Steve

Is UPNP enabled on the router? I'll try and gen up on BT MobileXpress and see if I can suggest any other solutions
Steve
------------

Glenn

On JohnH's VPN problem, it was down to a proxy issue, is there one set on your laptop?
Glenn
--------------------

goingonholiday

Quote from: Glenn on Jul 16, 2011, 18:23:41
On JohnH's VPN problem, it was down to a proxy issue, is there one set on your laptop?

UNPN wasn't set, I've not set it and tried again - no change still won't connect.

If I open up a command prompt ipconfig tells me I'm connected and I can ping other computers on the network and bbc.co.uk and get a response so it appears to just be the VPN that's the problem.

Stupid question coming now, how do I tell if a proxy is set?

Thanks

Glenn

For Windows, in Control Panel, click Internet Options>Connections>LAN settings

Make a note of any settings before making changes.
Glenn
--------------------

goingonholiday

Quote from: Glenn on Jul 16, 2011, 18:34:05
For Windows, in Control Panel, click Internet Options>Connections>LAN settings

Make a note of any settings before making changes.

Checked that (just had a lack of internet connection for half an hour hence the delay) and it is using a proxy but it says in brackets next to the setting that it doesn't apply to VPN - and I don't have access to alter it.  If I can connect via a different connection would that make a difference anyway?

Thanks

goingonholiday

problem solved, I did a firmware upgrade on the router and everything worked.  Thanks for all your help.

Steve

Steve
------------