Good news for Broadband prices?

Started by Technical Ben, Jul 20, 2011, 14:06:43

Previous topic - Next topic

pctech

Quote from: Simon on Jul 21, 2011, 22:14:23
I think PlusNet can be OK, depending on what you use your connection for, as they do, apparently, use traffic management and throttling.

Unless you go for Pro and/or have a really good line, the traffic management can make the connection unusable when their network is under load.

Gary

Quote from: pctech on Jul 22, 2011, 19:34:45
Unless you go for Pro and/or have a really good line, the traffic management can make the connection unusable when their network is under load.

I tend to use my connection more in the day, bit of online gaming at night, its getting to the point paying IDNet + phoneline is expensive and for my usage cheaper ISP's are calling even though I resist. We need to save money and IDNet is just expensive although a great ISP but justifying their prices is getting harder and harder.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Technical Ben

True. But can you even game on the cheaper products? I found the answer to be no. :(
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

pctech

One of the complaints on Plusnet when a new game came out was that the traffic was not prioritised as it was supposed to be on the cheaper products until the network operations staff had loaded the traffic signatures for the game in question so that the device could recognise it.

Technical Ben

Exactly. If the service is not congested (usualy for BT resellers) then it's traffic managed. Either way, your game traffic is practically blocked, not just slow.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

pctech

Plusnet used to announce with great fanfare when a new segment of a BT Central (predecessor to the hostlink on 20CN) was lit meaning they'd have 155 Mbps of extra incoming bandwdidth from BT available so that's not really an issue.

It's the traffic management that stinks.